VOGONS

First post, by a1291762

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got a MacBook Pro running Mac OS X 10.4.10. I've been using DOSBox 0.6.3 (I know, ancient) to run Zeliard. I noticed that DOSBox was up at 0.7.2 and now supports protected mode so I downloaded it and tried it out. The protected mode thing seems to be working. However Zeliard is now broken.

The symptom is:
- press enter to open the status screen
- sound stutters and then stops
- game stops responding
- DOSBox isn't chewing CPU and closes normally when I close the window
- DOSBox responds to alt+enter to switch from fullscreen to windowed

I've attached a copy of my savegame in case that makes a difference. Following a particular set of steps gives 100% reproduction in all 0.7.x versions of DOSBox but I'm pretty sure any normal playing of the game will also trigger the problem. It might be a bit hard to describe the steps... if you know the game, just try to get through the level and you'll probably do the same things I did.

I tried 0.6.5 and it does not have the problem. I notice that 0.6.5 is the last version tested for Zeliard (http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?s … ID=747&letter=Z).

Easy workaround for now it to use 0.6 to play Zeliard so not a critical bug but a regression nontheless.

Attachments

• Filename
    DOSBOX.USR.zip
    File size
    318 Bytes
    Downloads
    371 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by a1291762

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... I noticed that I was running a non-DOSBox-official build of 0.6.3. I'm not sure where it came from. I found an entry on VersionTracker but the download links were broken. If it helps I can put up the binary somewhere.

0.6.5 (the official one) actually seems slightly worse in general compared to the 0.6.3 binary I had. Going full screen and changing screen resolution is slower and I noticed occasional vertical refresh problems when playing Zeliard (ie. vertical refresh happens when the screen is half drawn).

A whole bunch of games I tried failed on my 0.6.3 binary but work fine on 0.7. They all seem to be using protected mode.

Reply 4 of 5, by a1291762

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm... I somehow messed up the version thing. It seems I was running 0.65 but it's a universal build... that would explain the slightly better performance than the official 0.65 which would be running under rosetta.

I've attached the resource.cfg file. It should say EGA and Sound Blaster for music and sound effects. I prefer the appearance of EGA compared to MCGA and I tried Roland music via CoreAudio but it was too jarring because it's not the same noise I grew up with.

Attachments

• Filename
    resource.cfg
    File size
    73 Bytes
    Downloads
    448 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 5, by a1291762

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'll try to describe what I did (so you can hopefully reproduce it).

The savegame I attached before is at Llama. Leave and go get the keys then head towards the boss. At the part where you have to jump up 2 slopes with the silkarn shoes is where the game would have the problem. It was eerily reproducible (I did the same thing 4 times with different versions and it always happened in the same spot).