VOGONS

First post, by pentolaccia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there
I'm tryng to trash Windows based system in order to take over with linux (ubuntu).I got rid of almost all the silly apps I got under windows.
almost, because one of them, witch I need to work with, is dos supported and (shame on it) does not run on dosbox.

When I start the app from the dosbox dash (on the local harddrive) it stops sayng it needs the share.exe file to run this apps.

I looked on the Z mounted drive (the dosbox default one) and actually I found out that there is no such a file. So i tried to move a copy of the share.exe file (I found it on the web) to the Z drive...but it does not work (it seems that I cannot copy file on the emulators dirve)

I tried to look on the forum search but it did not end to anything usefull.

If anyone has got any clue (even suggestions on some other emulators that could bypass this problem) plz let me know

bye and thx

Reply 3 of 6, by vogon player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe you could try placing share.exe in the mapped root for drive C:\ and then place the following in the autoexec section of the DOSBox.conf file:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
path=z:\;c:\

Not sure if this will solve your difficulty, but it might offer a solution if this allows your application to find the file it wants.

Reply 4 of 6, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

after you did vogon player's advice, then execute share.exe in Dosbox. If it gives grive over your dos version, then change the dos version, I think ver is the correct command for that.

Oh, and what app is that? I wanted to test this share/ver thing some time ago and couldn't remember the program that gave me grive...

Reply 6 of 6, by pentolaccia

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there

The program is a dos database program called VIP (accountant stuff I'm not working with it actually)...

I was wrong... sorry about the version... when I downloaded it i did via synaptic and the updated version wich was 0.70

So I got today the 0.72 from getdeb and I've installed it..

wanna know something??... it works!! following your advice I have made it!

To be honest that's half of the way to make it fully functioning..

I still have to mess a little bit with some dos files in the Z: directory (or at least that was what I used ti do when I was running originally it under dos)... I let you know how is getting on