VOGONS

First post, by vogon player

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Is DOSBox able to make use of a 16-bit PCI Ethernet ODI driver for DOS?

I am running DOSBox 0.72 under Windows 2000 and one of the Ethernet cards that I have installed is a PCI Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC.

I have recently installed Breadbox Ensemble (a GEOS Based GUI) in DOSBox and it is running very well so far. I would now like to try and get the Internet (browser, email, FTP, etc) working in Ensemble and this requires the use of an ODI network driver.

Here is what I currently have in my NET.CFG file:

Link Driver RTSODI
ETHERID 0050fc2b06ea
FRAME Ethernet_802.3
PROTOCOL IP 0 Ethernet_802.3
PROTOCOL ARP 0 Ethernet_802.3
MEDIUM AUTO

When I run LSL.COM there are no immediate complaints as per the following output:

Novell Link Support Layer for DOS ODI v2.20 (96041)
(c) Copyright 1990 - 1996, by Novell, Inc. All rights reserved.

The configuration file used was "C:\NWCLIENT\DOS\NET.CFG".
Max Boards 4, Max Stacks 4

When I attempt to load the DOS based driver for my network card (RTSODI.COM) however, the driver does not load and I receive errors indicating that the system does not have a PCI bus as follows:

Realtek RTL8139(A/B/C)/8130/810X Fast Ethernet MLID v3.64 (010816)
(c) Copyright 2001, by Realtek Semiconductor Corp. All rights reserved

Max Frame 1514 bytes, BUS ID 4
Board 1, Frame ETHERNET_802.2, LSB Mode

RTSODI-DOS-30: This is not a PCI system.

RTS-DOS-6: The adapter did not initialize. RTSODI did not load.

So, I'm wondering if it is possible to load such a driver in DOSBox, or might there be a way to emulate the existence of an ODI driver that would work in DOSBox similar to the way that IPX network protocol support can be specified within the DOSBOX.CONF file?

I've been searching all night and haven't really found any information available on this topic anywhere. I've tried various framing options in the NET.CFG file with no change. 🙁