VOGONS

First post, by Lime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
I've been light-playing through the Elite series the last couple of days, and now I downloaded Frontier: first encounters (the shareware version, 1.1 remastered) to try it out.

Of course, since my new computer is designed for Windows Vista, and HP doesn't put their drivers out on their homepage, I use DOSBox (Yes, I know, but it's the GAME, not the emu).

I mount my FFE directory like I do with all my (working) games, and I use the file FIRSTENC.BAT in the FIRSTENC dir. The intro movie starts to play, and if I press any key, it restarts. if I press a key a second time, the game locks, and lots and lots of errormessages starts rolling past so quickly that you can't read them.

Eventually, the messages stop, but then, all there is is strange symbols that looks like parts of the ingame cursor, lots of zeros and the text "Reference to a page you don't own".

I've tried downloading from different pages, i've read all the FAQ's I could get my hands on, and I've tried starting all the .exe's, .bat's and .com files in the directory.

Is there something wrong with my copy of the game? does anyone else have this problem?
I'd appreciate a quick answer, because from the intro, this game looks fantastic.
PS: sorry for the bad english (if any 😁 )

Attachments

• fferror.png
    Filename
    fferror.png
    File size
    26.95 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    The last part of the error message, everything else rolls past too fast to read.

EDIT: Replaced that ginourmous BMP file with collectors PNG version.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[Moved]

Urghhh. That BMP is sure big. Use PNG for screen capture next time.

Attachments

• fferror.png
    Filename
    fferror.png
    File size
    26.95 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

BTW, that has nothing to do with vista. FFE simply doesn't work in DOSBox, it is difficult to fix, and since there is JJFFE, theres no urge to fix it.

Oh, and: The game is indeed fantastic 😀 Be sure to check out the other variants of JJFFE out there, for example the one that does 640x400 video.