VOGONS

First post, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been playing Jungle Strike without any problems since version 0.65 - so I figured out: "I can play the prequel, Desert Strike, as well..."

Partially... the game plays without problems too... until the last level, at the point when there is a "movie"-like thing, showing the big bomber blowing up.

Then, I get dumped out of the game with a "not enough memory" message (and I SHOULD have more than enough - I can even play Blood without any trouble).

I always get it, no matter what tricks I tried. The problem persists in version 0.72 😒

My configuration (for playing Desert Strike/Jungle Strike):

core=normal
cycles=12000
ems=true
xms=true
umb=true

Any advice you can give me to solve the problem? I will be VERY grateful 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

There is a memsize=.... parameter. I think it defaults to 16. Maybe upp it to 32?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Desert Strike was a pretty unstable game last time I tried it - good to know you can get to the last level now 😜 It used to crash a lot for me with the 0.65 Dosbox.

Memory-wise - you got conventional and XMS/EMS memory and I would guess it needs conventional (or rather, you need to decrease conventional memory with the fix) - no way that 16Mb XMS would not be enough for that ancient game. It ran fine on my 486 with only 8Mb.

Reply 3 of 10, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, my memsize is 64 - and it still thinks it doesn't have enough memory 😦

The game crashes a lot? Apart from this memory problem, it runs perfectly for me, and all the other movie-like episodes play without a single glitch. After paying the whole thing, it was quite a disappointment to get kicked out in the very end...

I experimented a little - the game apparently uses EMS (as I expected), and is not affected by any changes in the XMS.

So... I am thinking if there is a way to increase the amount of EMS... maybe that can solve the problem 🙄

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Gatekeeper on 2007-11-19, 12:01. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Gatekeeper wrote:
My configuration (for playing Desert Strike/Jungle Strike): […]
Show full quote

My configuration (for playing Desert Strike/Jungle Strike):

core=normal
cycles=12000
ems=true
xms=true
umb=true

Gatekeeper wrote:

Well, my memsize is 64 - and it still thinks it doesn't have enough memory 😦

See a problem here?

Reply 8 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

A memsize of 64 is not the default for DOSBox, so (unless you upped it to 64 after that post), the correct (modified) configuration that you used should have been listed as:

memsize=64
core=normal
cycles=12000
ems=true
xms=true
umb=true

And given that information, my advise would have been different.

Reply 9 of 10, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I see... I'm sorry - my mistake 😳

I just never thought it mattered very much... which was very unwise of me to do.

Ok, tonight I will try the "loadfix" thingie - let's hope it works.

Reply 10 of 10, by Gatekeeper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys...

I tried using the loadfix... and it still won't work.

Here is the exact error message that I get (again at the final movie scene):

ERROR: Requires 544k of memory available to execute.

I used loadfix with 64kb allocated.

Any ideas?

Don't waste your time, or time will waste you...