VOGONS

First post, by Nerd42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, BusyTown won't seem to run at all, no matter what I try in either VDMSound or DosBox - no matter which computer I try. I remember that game from way back in the day and the PC/DOS version (which I'm trying to get to work) has way more/better stuff in it than the Sega Genesis version so that's why i'm not just playing that instead. this is a children's game and i want my little brothers to get to play it like I did when I was their age 😀

It always crashes right after the title screen. I think it might have something to do with the sound card detection/support. But it still does it even if I tell it "no sound"

Reply 2 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Don't have that game. I would start by setting all the sound-devices (sb, gus, adlib, disney,...) in DOSBox to false.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 7 of 12, by Nerd42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You know, BusyTown really is "The Most Fun Game Ever!" like it says on the packaging. It's like, a low-rez non-violent pixel art based Grand Theft Auto for kids! Cause like, they can just do whatever they want. Want to spray the little rabbit family with the hose instead of fighting the fire that's burning up their house? Sure OK no problem you can do it. There's all kinds of hilarious little things like that hidden in this game that a "normal" children's game wouldn't let you do - knocking over trash cans and running into people with the delivery and fire trucks, making the kettle boil over, totally wrapping up somebody with bandages like a mummy in the doctor's office and tons of other crazy stuff. The wind playground is probably the one that allows for the most interactivity of this type. Most children's games don't allow that kind of thing 😀

And I still don't understand why getting in the way of somebody's photograph costs you one banana. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain that to me cause I just don't get it.

Reply 8 of 12, by segasonic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I've found this game on an old CD a few days ago, and it's freezing after the title as well (dosbox 0.74)
Since it is only one directory, I don't know how to reinstall it, installer can't find the disks of course.
I've uploaded the game, just to help the testing, if you want it, because I did not found the game on the web. Nowhere.
Here it is: [don't]
Hope you can help! Thank you!

Reply 11 of 12, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Appears to work with sbtype=sb16 and irq=5; maybe it uses the default IRQ for the detected SB type. The install seems to let you choose the IRQ, but only at installation.