VOGONS

PLEASE HELP.1st time using DOSBOX

Topic actions

First post, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this is my first time using dosbox and all i wanna do is play kings quest 4 perils of rosella and leisure larry 7 love for sail. im operating under windows vista. if anyone knows exactly what to do or knows for a fact that it will not work. please let me know. email me or hit my up on my screename. ajgray04 or ajgray04@hotmail.com please help

i jus wanna play old cool dos games with no hassle 🤣

Reply 1 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

See if these pages will help you.
http://forums.vgames.com/forum.jspa?forumID=111
http://forums.vgames.com/thread.jspa?threadID=33324&tstart=0

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ERROR 99: error lloading resource 10000.snd
I:\SYS\INTERPS\RESTYPE.CPP(97)
script#64989($fdc2eeb8+)

um? 🤣 i kno its tryn to load a sound file but it aint workin, i dont kno how to use dosbox really at all. tried doin a lil bit of it and when i type in dos but sometimes dosbox says this application needs windows to run? makes no sense 🤣

Reply 3 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

First step is to tell us what you have done to install the games, and how you run them. The exact commands you use. Maybe follow my 60 seconds guide and see if that will help.

Reply 4 of 27, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Perhaps you should first make certain Dosbox is properly installed.
Ensure that you read the Dosbox README file.
Please confirm you have set proper VISTA permissions.
Make sure to properly mount the game sub-directory.
Original KQ4 and LS7 have DOS installers.
Repeat any game setup already performed under Dosbox.
Put a mount command for your CD-ROM as drive D:.
Have the KQ4 or LS7 DOS installer load all files.

You should select the proper emulated sound card.
Other soundcard choices can be auditioned with Dosbox.
Unselect any unused emulated soundcards in DOSBOX.CONF.

Many times using the Dosbox scaler functions helps older games.
Otherwise the game screen appears too small on today's monitors.
Remember to set the emulated CPU cycles to around 4,000 to 6,000.
On some PC systems try different output= choices for best performance.
Never think that Dosbox can not run older DOS games, it works well.

dvwjr

Reply 5 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

now remember im a newb kinda to the computer world here. i do not kno anythin about dosbox. i downloaded the newest one .72 i think. and im lost actually. when i try to install lsl7 it pops up and says what do u wanna do, i click install cuz thas the only button clickable, then the sierra online setup thing pops up, u hear the sierra sound of a band or orchestra or whatever. but the window will not pop up. it jus stays down on the taskbar, and thas it.

Reply 6 of 27, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No you can't just install DosBox and then install lsl7 for windows, that's not how it works.
Lsl should come with a Dos-Version aswell, so you startup DosBox, mount your Harddrive and the CD-Drive and install and play from within DosBox. For details how to do that check DosBox documentation.

However, it might be easier to try installing the Win Version first though. Seeing that the Setup fails, you might want to try to put the windows setup file (probably setup.exe) into win95 compatibility mode (rightclick the exe, preferences, compatibility). The Win-Installation may work then. If not, use the Dos-Version with DosBox.

Reply 7 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

1) You don't CLICK on anything in DOSBox.
2) Nothing POPS UP in DOSBox. If you are lucky something is shown on the screen.
3) Can you start DOSBox? No game, no nothing, just start DOSBox as it was installed.
4) Did you read my 60 seconds guide? See my signature.
5) And what is up with that signature of yours? This web site works just fine.

Reply 8 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

u cant run anything from lsl7 in win95 compability mode. it jus wont work. it says the program has stopped working, for everything u try to run in win95 compability mode. no i did not read it yet because i told ya im a newb i prolly wouldnt get it. but im gonna try, that sign is not ment for this website. dos box works fine. i dont click on anythin in dosbox and yes dosbox works fine. if anyone wants to talk a lil more my screename is ajgray04. thanx guys, ur patience im grateful for 🤣

Reply 9 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

lets see, mounted my drive e:\ which is my cd/dvd rom drive. typer dir to see all files. typed setup to run it and it says this program requires microsoft windows. i tried mountin my c drive with my LSL7 folder i created. but it will not work in dosbox to mount it.

Reply 10 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok ive got to the point where ive installed the game on my c drive using the install file from the game disk. but when i go to the folder it installed everything too. its in a sierra folder and everytime i try to run the game it keeps givin me a fullscreen error. ive tried compability mode and makin the resolution smaller and win 95 and stuff but it wont get past it. tried runnin it with the vdm sound thingy but it wont do it either. i kept hittin ignore and it started to play the noise but it sounded kinda bad. but the video never came up.

error message

c:/windows/system32/cmd.exe does not support fullscreen mode. choose close to terminate process.

Reply 11 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Start over again please.

Un-install LSL7 from Windows (if it will let you do that). Then delete the folders and files that the installation from DOSBox created.

Follow my guide, install you real E-drive a the D-drive in DOSBox, install some game-dir as the C-drive in DOSBox, run the DOS-installer from inside DOSBox.

Then come back and tell us what how you mounted the DOSBox C-drive, and which folders the installer created.

Reply 12 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

deleted everything. opened up dos box and type "mount d "e: /" and said drive d is mounted as local directory e:\

am i doin that right so far? i dont understand ur 2nd part tho man.

Last edited by ajgray04 on 2007-12-21, 19:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

its showing everything thas in my cd/dvd rom {drive e} off the lsl7 game disk. for example if u right click on it and go to explore, it shows all the files from that disk, in the alphabetical list.

Reply 16 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You seem to have done part of step 4 in my guide:
60 seconds guide to getting your game to run in DOSBox
You have mounted the CD-ROM. How about the C-drive? Is that mounted?

It would be so much easier if you would tell us which steps of the guide you have completed, and how you did it, e.g. which mount commands you used, which install command, etc etc.

Reply 17 of 27, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
ajgray04 wrote:

its showing everything thas in my cd/dvd rom {drive e} off the lsl7 game disk. for example if u right click on it and go to explore, it shows all the files from that disk, in the alphabetical list.

It is okay to use Windows Explorer to LOOK at the files, to read text files, etc. But do NOT run the SETUP, the INSTALLER, or the game from Windows Explorer. All programs should be run from inside DOSBox.

Reply 18 of 27, by ajgray04

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

tried these,
autoplay - this program cannot be run in dos mode

setup - this program requires microsoft windows

sier - we're sorry you have encountered an internal game error. please restart your game and restore a saved game. if you continue to have problems, please report them to seirra technical support. cant find config file d:\resource.cfg please reinstall

sierw - this program cannot be run in dos mode

sierw5 - this program cannot be run in dos mode

install - goes through setup, but cant install to a drive. says cant find 0 drive. but the o has 2 lil dots above it. it cant find any drives to install to in the dosbox. now when i do this outside dosbox in windows. it shows up my drives. i guess this is the part where i need to make a drive in dosbox to install it to or somethin, that way when this screen comes up it has a drive to choose from?