VOGONS

First post, by oldbushie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can I play a simple midi file in Dosbox and get the nice adlib sound??? I can't find a single application that runs in DOS that lets me play midi files in adlib mode vs the crappy default mode my soundcard has (crappy because the midi file is made for adlib). Any help would be appreciated, I'm tearing my hair out here.

Even more ideal would be a midi to wave converter for dos. Those seem to be nonexistent, apart from a rumored mid2wav that came bundled with old soundblaster cards.

Thanks for any help!

Reply 1 of 4, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The MIDI standard defines an instrument set, but those instruments may sounds different depending on the implementation. With FM sound (AdLib etc), this is an even bigger problem, since the voices are synthesized rather than playbacks of recordings (which wavetable cards do). When two FM sound MIDI players both play a "piano" sound, they may sound very different from one another.

The most common sound (and the one you may be used to) is that used by the AdLib driver in Windows 3.1. You could install that into DOSBox and even use DOSBox' wave recording feature (which will record the emulated AdLib sound to .WAV).

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 2 of 4, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kippesoep wrote:

The MIDI standard defines an instrument set, but those instruments may sounds different depending on the implementation. With FM sound (AdLib etc), this is an even bigger problem, since the voices are synthesized rather than playbacks of recordings (which wavetable cards do).

I remember a number of AdLib MIDI players and written-for-AdLib MIDI files using some sysex commands that included the AdLib instrument definitions to be used. Can't remember the names of the players supporting that though.

JAL

Reply 4 of 4, by oldbushie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, I got Win3.1 up and running in Dosbox with sb16 drivers installed for it, and it plays the way it was meant to be played (using Creative MIDI), but with stuttering. Is there a way to fix the stuttering?