VOGONS

First post, by Stick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's not critical to gameplay, just very annoying, but whenever Chuck speaks in Chuck Yeager's Air Combat (v1.1), his speech is garbled. He doesn't speak during actual gameplay, only at static screens (when the game is first loaded and before/after missions). All other sounds (music and sound effects) in the game are OK. Speech is garbled every time I play the game. The game was installed under DOSBox from the original disks. I am using an "unprotect" loader program for convenience, but the speech is garbled when I don't use it, also.

Things I've already tried:
-running the game with the default settings of dosbox.conf
-reading "The Config File" on the DOSBoxWiki page
-reading readme.txt in the DOSBox folder
-making sure no background processes were interfering
-changing "core" to all the possibilities
-changing "cycles" to 2000, 1500, & 1000
-changing "frameskip" to 1,2,5, & 10
-changing mixer "rate" to 11025
-changing mixer "prebuffer" to 100, 1000, & 10000
-changing mixer "blocksize" to 4096 & 8192
-changing "sbtype" to all the possibilities
-changing sblaster "mixer" to false
-loading the game with "loadfix"
-searching DOSBox forum
-reading the comments for the game on the "Games" page
-combining the changes above in so many different ways I don't remember them all
-changing the game's startup sound parameter - I have tried adlib, blaster & tandy
the parameters available are: pc, adlib, blaster, tandy, tandydac, covox1, covox2, cms
-changing joysticks from a 15-pin game port type to a USB type

There is no "setup" file, the game automatically detects graphics & sound but you can force the others - example: "yeager ega adlib"

Since I have DOSBox set for VGA and sb16, when I use "yeager" to start the game it is apparently the same as typing "yeager vga blaster".

Regarding the comments for the game on the "Games" page - there are 2 comments:
Comment 1 (from 2003-07-21) - "Speech is a little messy..."
Comment 2 (from 2005-01-31) - "now, the speech is ok now"
These 2 comments let me know that I wasn't the only one that ever had this problem, and that at some point, at least one person got good speech. I installed the version that was available at the time of comment 2 (0.63), then tried most, if not all, of the changes I had made with version 0.72, but the speech was still garbled.

Using this computer:
P4 2.8 GHz
1 MB RAM
NVidia GeForce 6600
SoundBlaster Live
Win XP SP2
DOSBox version 0.72

Currently, all dosbox.conf settings are DEFAULT except these:
fullscreen=true
aspect=true
cycles=max ("auto" or anything less than 5000 is too slow)

The [autoexec] section:
mount c c:\dosgames\yeager
c:
yeager
exit

Are there any other settings I could change that might effect the speech?
Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 3, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think that Chuck Yeager also works directly from Windows XP (NTVDM) with PC speaker sound. Is the speech also garbled when you run it that way?
(btw. with dosbox, it might be a timing resolution problem)

Reply 3 of 3, by Stick

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Srecko - When I tried to run Yeager from Windows (with pc speaker sound) I get no sound at all. I don't know what's up with that. Thanks for that idea, though.

leileilol - I found my backup copy of Yeager (original disks were not copy protected), and installed the game from those, but I still get the garbled speech. Of course, they BOTH could be corrupted. I can't help but feel it's something else, though. Thanks for your response.