VOGONS

First post, by Carborundum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right, here's what's going on. I download this torrent of Warcraft and Warcraft 2. I read through the install directions and discover I need a "virtual drive" or something to that effect. I downloaded "Virtual Clone Drive" from Elaborate Bytes. Then, I tried using Nero to create a disk image and "mount" it to one of them. I'm not sure if it worked or not. And, one other thing, I tried typing install in DOSBox and it kept telling me it was an illegal command.

Okay, so here is where I sit down and listen to the experts. I'm not much of a computer guy, but I do enjoy playing old skool Warcraft. Please help. 😅

"Illegitimi non carborundum!"

Reply 1 of 2, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

We really do not support pirated games here. Please ask on the site where you downloaded this.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 2, by ErikGG

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As Dominus said, abandonware is not legal, and thus not supported on VOGONS, but DOSBox on itself is.

DOSBox on itself is a full PC, you need to configure its drives using the mount command (see the Guides section on VOGONS and or its Readme for more info)

An illegal command in DOSBox is meaning DOSBox doesn't know what you want to do or better said it doesn't know the exe you want to start (it doesn't exist?).

Try using the "dir" command to list all files and choose an exe or bat file to start, or use Windows browser to search the dir for usable files.

In DOS you always need to start the setup exe and afterwards configuring the games audio and video, start the game. The setups are sepparate exe's.

Or try a frontend like D.O.G. or DBGL. ( A Windows on top of DOSBox )

Erik.

Read the new FAQ.doc