VOGONS

First post, by yahooligan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

This Forum helped me running Settler2 (+MissionDisk) on my PC under Windows XP.

In the 4th level i recognized some short mouse freezings after 6-7 hours. It got worse and I saved and resarted the PC completely an it was ok again. Everything smooth until the end of the level.

In level 5, after about 7 hours, i got the same problems. I worried, saved the game and startet completely new. But now, when I want to load the level 5 at about 7:30 hours I get knocked back to the Dos-Level saying:
CRITICAL ERROR: FILE::RESET: D:\S2\gfs\palette\pa18.bbm!
OUTER MAIN LOOP ERROR: FILE: D:\S2\gfx\palette\pa18.bbm - ERROR 2 - File not found!!

Seems like the data gets too much for the system in big levels. What could cause the problem and what could I do?

Maybe I cant get the saved one back but avoid such problems in the future...?

Thanks!

Reply 2 of 7, by yahooligan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

By the way:
How do I copy my savegames when I plan to re-install Windows?
Is it enough to copy the "Save" folder from C:\dosbox\siedler2\?
I want that the game at least remembers the level progress.

Reply 3 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

OUTER MAIN LOOP ERROR: FILE: D:\S2\gfx\palette\pa18.bbm - ERROR 2 - File not found!!

Does that file exist? If so, is it hidden/readonly or something?

Hard to say what's wrong if it only happens after 7+ hours of gameplay...

How do I copy my savegames when I plan to re-install Windows?
Is it enough to copy the "Save" folder from C:\dosbox\siedler2\?

Easiest thing to try is setting up a second installation and transferring
the savegames for testing, like create a c:\dosbox_test\ and install siedler2
there to, then copy the savegames and see if it works. If it does there should
not be any problem with transferring the files to a new windows installation.
If it doesn't, try to examine the files in the siedler2 directory, there could be
some file that maintains the save slots (like in siedler1 iirc.)

Reply 6 of 7, by Alrik Fassbauer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Blue Byte (the developers) once made a patch available from their homepage, have you tried it ?

The only *truly* runnable version under win xp of The Settlers II is said to be included in the German Collector's Edition of the Settlers II remake.

Reply 7 of 7, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

try increasing DOSBox memory to 24mb or more. 16mb is bare minimum... also, i experience the jitters after playing a level for a extended period of time and i associate it with just the game getting rather complex with tons of buildings/settlers etc. it runs smooth on a new game but loading a complex save game or building up the city and/or exploring/owning a large portion of the map also introduces the jitter. (jitter affects the game as a whole)

another thing to try is that DOS32A replacement of dos4gw.exe which i think provides a tiny performance increase.

edit: if the windows version of it is just the maps redone for "the next generation - 20th anniversary edition" then they will play horrible due to inferior menu's and extremely annoying item graphics for the menu's, also various changes like demolishing military buildings and evacuating them, gold coin delivery, number of items available at each flag ( road junction) is reduced and catapult aiming all vastly change the gameplay

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website