VOGONS

Reply 22 of 28, by ratix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hey, there is one thing that i found out. in dosbox.conf set tandy to auto. if you play the game with "tandy=on" no audio will work for any sierra game i believe. just throwing that out there.
It's probably due to tandy DAC conflict or something

Reply 23 of 28, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ratix wrote:

hey, there is one thing that i found out. in dosbox.conf set tandy to auto. if you play the game with "tandy=on" no audio will work for any sierra game i believe. just throwing that out there.
It's probably due to tandy DAC conflict or something

The only possible Sierra games that you would want to use Tandy for are the AGI games, so this has nothing to do with QfG4, a VGA game. Besides, you do not need to do anything with the speaker settings to get Tandy sounds. Just set machine=tandy.

Reply 24 of 28, by ratix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes i know but other games that require vga also allow having tandy sound enabled. most floppy versions of games have that option at least that i have come across.
I've also noticed practically everyone here sets dosbox cycles ridiculously high why is that?
for quest for glory 4 4000 cycles should be more then enough

Ellie wrote:

Hi
I'm new to this, sorry. I have been having similar difficulties and followed all of the above steps but am having to do it on my laptop, there are two files for me which are different, these are resource.aud which I don't have on the disc and install.exe or sinst.exe instead I have install.bat so I copied that over. Please help as I don't want to end up with no audio on the game

sounds like you have the floppy version of the game. there should be a resource.sfx instead of a resource.aud.
install.bat is nothing but a batch file completely useless unless you have install.exe if it is the CD version there should be sub folders and whatnot and depending on cd and floppy version the cd version of the game has the copy protection required to complete the game in .VOX format or something

Reply 25 of 28, by locknbar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:
Create a folder on your harddrive for the game and in it, copy the PATCHES folder and the files: […]
Show full quote

Create a folder on your harddrive for the game and in it, copy the PATCHES folder and the files:

SINST.EXE or INSTALL.EXE (depending on what version of the game you have)
65535.MAP
FLYTHRU.SEQ
INSTALL.HLP
INSTALL.SCR
INSTALL.TXT
RESOURCE.000
RESOURCE.AUD
RESOURCE.CFG
RESOURCE.MAP
RESOURCE.SFX
SIERRA.ERR
SIERRA.EXE
SIERRA.INF
SIERRAW.ICO
VERSION

and all *.DRV files.

Unzip the NewRisinSun QfG4 patch into the PATCHES folder.

Edit your RESOURCE.CFG to:

videoDrv = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = GENMIDI.DRV
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV
joyDrv = NO
directory = .\
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches
audiosize = 63k

Start the game in DOSBox with SIERRA.EXE, using normal core and around 8000 cycles and the rest of the dosbox.conf settings at defaults.

Hello folks. I appreciate this forum; I just found it while Googling around, and already like it a lot =-} I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit on my laptop. I'm playing Quest for Glory IV through DosBox, & I have all the update patches in place. Originally I had poor sound, no speech, lightning fast text; the post quoted above made the quality of the sound MUCH better, but hasn't resolved the lack of speech & fast text & combat that others on here have complained about.

I've returned to QFG a number of times over the years, often had trouble, which I fixed through some forum info I'd find, and all would be well. I'm not having that luck this time, and I wonder if it's due to trouble with Windows 7. Any helpful tips would be appreciated; I'd love to get the speech fixed.

I can't tell you how many times I've beaten this game, and on each class no less, but I've never beaten Quest for Glory V, & I've lost my saved game files. So I played through QFGs 1-3 again, now just want to fix the speech for #4, so I can beat it again and finally play QFG5 all the way through. Thanks again for any help!

--Joshua
locknbar@gmail.com