VOGONS

First post, by Mattly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone! I'm trying to get the CD version of Star Trek 25th Anniversary to work, but I keep running into this problem:

After I get to installation menu (from my mounted DvD/CD Rom drive), I select "install game" on directory "C:\ TrekCD, hit enter, game installs and says press any key to continue, then under display type I tried all 3 choices to see if it made any difference (Choices are VGA 320x200x256, EGA 640x480x16, Tandy 16 color). Then I select Mouse and Keyboard, then I select Sound Blaster 16 for sound and music, and it freezes up. Even though that happens, I still get a folder installed. When I try startrek.exe under C:\TrekCD though, it says No CD-Rom drive detected, make sure you run MSCDEX.exe and that the correct CD-Rom device driver is present in your Config.sys file. The problem with that is the game installation isn't giving me a config.sys to modify, otherwise I would copy the contents on the CD drive and modify the config.sys to read it from there instead of the CD (That's how I got a lot of problems fixed with Star Trek, A final Unity). Despite that, I tried copying the entire contents of the disc anyway and installing it from there, but the same problem happens. Any advice and help would be greatly apperciated.

Here's a screenshot of what the Dosbox status gives me and the screen that freezes up:

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/2472/25thtd1.jpg

Reply 4 of 12, by Mattly

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sorry but I'm not entirely sure what you're asking for. Opening dosbox says this with regards to mounts:

Z:\>mount C C:\Dos
Z:\> mount E E:\ -tcdrom

and under doxbox.conf I have it set up here as:
[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C C:\DOS
mount E E:\ -tcdrom

Reply 7 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Strangely, I'm seeing the same behavior, and I know I'm doing things correctly. The only difference is that I'm using a .ccd+.sub+.cue image file:

mount c c:\users\public\games
imgmount d c:\users\public\games\st25th.cue -t cdrom
d:
install

then follow the prompts, choices don't seem to matter; eventually it freezes with only the installer background wallpaper visible.

I forcefully closed DOSBox and re-launched it, and found that it seemed to have installled some files to the mounted c: drive. I re-mounted the CD image and launched the game and it worked fine, so I guess the installer got far enough before freezing to leave me with a viable install.

I did run the config util that was installed to the mounted hard drive to make sure the sound was configured correctly. I noticed that it was a text-based util instead of the graphical installer prompts, and that the sound card selection was totally different from that shown by the installer.

Edit: This was using 0.73 official release on Win7 x64 RC1, although I'm now playing it with Gulikoza's CVS build since the game uses MT-32 for music.

Reply 8 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I should also mention that the drums in Munt during the intro music sound comically loud compared to the melodic instruments. I haven't noticed this in other games, and I'm not currently able to test with my real MT-32 to see if real hardware has the same imbalance.

Reply 10 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm running the CD version with a real MT-32 and the sound seems balanced to me.

Dont know if this will help with your freezing issues but I always mount images as such:

imgmount d c:\users\public\games\st25th.cue -t iso -fs iso

Reply 11 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I installed 25th Anniversary yesterday without any problems using my CVS build. I used Daemon Tools mounted image. But I agree, MT32 volume is a bit low 😀

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 12 of 12, by Mr_Blastman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am curious, the CD Version of 25th Anniversary works great with MT-32, but Judgement Rites is messed up? At least, my copy is. My version of Judgement Rites won't upload the new patch banks to the MT-32 and just seems content with using the default instruments--and as a result sounds very weird and wrong.