VOGONS

First post, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings all.

So I'm running Super Off Road in Dosbox but I have a question.

Is there a way in terms of editing the dosbox.conf file to remove the music but keep the sound effects using the Adlib board sound option in this game?

The music is really chunking up the framerate since I'm basically using a 8 mghz computer and there's no option to remove just the music.

Thank you. 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I don't think that is possible. There is nothing in the game setup to remove the music?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah there's really not much of a game setup screen.

All there is in the initial menu at the start of the game is:

1. No sound
2. IBM sound which doesn't play any music, the gameplay is incredibly fast, but the sound effects sound like dust farts through the speakers
3. Adlib board which slows down really bad because of the music, which also is choppy, but the sound effects are really good.

So I was hoping that maybe the Dosbox.conf could be tweaked where it wouldn't emulate that certain layer of music or perhaps deleting the music file and seeing if that also would work.

Any suggestions from you guys? I could use a little help on this

Thanks again. 😀

Reply 4 of 12, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry about that, didn't realize the specs were all that important on this.

Anyway, here's what I'm looking at:

Dosbox .72
Operating System: Chinook on a Nokia n800 internet tablet
It runs at a speed equivalent to a 8 -10 mhz 8086 computer, which to me, is really cool! 😀

Here's a screenshot of it in action:
http://img144.imageshack.us/img144/8780/pgatourgolfkg1.png

CPU Cycles: 800
Dosbox machine: VGA
Frameskip: 0
Sblaster sbtype: sb1
Sdl fullscreen: false
Bios joysticktype: none
Cpu core: simple
Dos ems: true
Dos umb: true
Dos xms: true
Dosbox memsize: 16
Gus dma1: 3
Gus dma2: 3
Gus gus: false
Gus gusbase: 240
Gus gusrate: 11025
Gus irq1: 5
Gus irq2: 5
Gus ultradir: C:\ULTRASND
Ipx ipx: false
Midi device: default
Midi mpu401: none
Mixer blocksize: 2048
Mixer nosound: false
Mixer prebuffer: 20
Mixer rate: 11025
Render aspect: false
Render scaler: normal2x
Sblaster dma: 1
Sblaster hdma: 5
Sblaster irq: 7
Sblaster mixer: true
Sblaster opimode: auto
Sblaster oplrate: 11025
Sblaster sbbase: 220
Speaker disney: true
Speaker pcrate: 11025
Speaker pcspeaker: true
Speaker tandy: auto
Speaker tandyrate: 11025

Whew! That was exhaustive. 😵

So yeah, I don't know why this stupid game is so addictive for me, but I've purchased every release of this game except for the Genesis and Arcade version so I really appreciate you guys helping out like you are.

Just to repeat, I'm trying to run this using the Adlib board sound option in the game but not have any of the music playing in the background.

Thanks again!

Reply 5 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

try oplmode=none
if the game uses dma transfers for sound effects than it would work,

if both music and effects are created on the opl then it isn't possible

btw it would help if you mentioned that you were using a (modified) version of dosbox as that version of dosbox by pupnik isn't exactly stock anymore. although it's not that bad.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Dunno if it will help, but try upping the frameskip.

Reply 7 of 12, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This game uses only OPL and as such doesn't separate music from sound effects. What you're looking to do isn't possible. Your only options are to:

• try to decrease the load for the whole system (using stuff like frameskip as MiniMax mentioned)
  • or not use the AdLib option
  • or modify DOSBox not to simulate certain channels of the OPL (which can be quite an exercise may or may not be successful and, if it works, may not bring enough of a speedup)

My site: Ramblings on mostly tech stuff.

Reply 8 of 12, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

# try to decrease the load for the whole system (using stuff like frameskip as MiniMax mentioned)
# or not use the AdLib option
# or modify DOSBox not to simulate certain channels of the OPL (which can be quite an exercise may or may not be successful and, if it works, may not bring enough of a speedup)

Yeah, I tried the suggestion earlier and changed
oplmode=none
but the chopped off all sound. 🙁

Changing the frameskip to 4 couldn't get it done either since the gameplay was horribly chunky and the music was far from being even remotely smooth.

So how does one go about removing certain channels or layers of sound in Dosbox? I'm a terrible newbie with computers so I don't really know what to begin looking at on this?

Finally, is it possible to use a Hex Editor and change a sound file that has the music soundtrack in the game to just zeros or something similar to this idea?

Thanks for the great follow up guys.

Reply 9 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Smothermunchie wrote:

So how does one go about removing certain channels or layers of sound in Dosbox? I'm a terrible newbie with computers so I don't really know what to begin looking at on this?

Seriously - then don't. It would take you 6 months of hard study to learn it.

Smothermunchie wrote:

Finally, is it possible to use a Hex Editor and change a sound file that has the music soundtrack in the game to just zeros or something similar to this idea?

Maybe, but I wouldn't know how.

Reply 11 of 12, by Smothermunchie

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

457E: 50 -> C3

In the GAME.EXE file there is
457E:450A (?)
So I just changed it to
457E: C30A

Is that correct? I'm not all too sure if you made a small typo on your post.

I also changed
45D8: A0C8
to
45D8: C3C8

Anyway, I don't know how you managed to think that idea up, but it was completely creative! 😀

It does work, I had no music and Adlib sound effects, just like I was hoping for! Good job Mok!

Unfortunately though, the music, for some reason, kicks in about 10 seconds into the race.

Any ideas on what might have triggered that?

Thanks again dude! You totally rock! 😀