VOGONS

First post, by Piney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
Yesterday I never heard of DOSBox and today I'm trying to get CITY 2000 to run without interference. I'm not skilled in DOS but I did read the README file. I've never posted before and even viewed your video on how to post. Search didn't turn up anything so here goes.
I have a Toshiba Pentium Centrino laptop 1.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM, video card Invidia GForce 4-420, video RAM 32MB, running Windows XP. I downloaded DOSBox 7.2 and got the game to run. It does the intro video OK and starts the game OK. During the game periodically a screen rolls down in which to view a video segment. This segment appears as streaks across the whole screen. I loaded DOSBox and ctiy 2000 onto my Win XP desktop and same thing happened. I loaded the game onto an old Win 95 IBM Aptiva and it ran without problems. I also have an old Win 95 laptop which exhibits same problem running the game. I had just had extended memory installed in this laptop.
Any suggestions that I can understand?

Reply 1 of 12, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

[MOVED]

What rendering output do you have on your dosbox.conf (dosbox plain-text config file located inside DOSBox folder). By default, output=surface is not so good. Try changing it to ddraw or overlay.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 12, by knuckles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been trying to get this working today and have managed to find a workaround. The reason why the in-game videos do not work but the intro videos do is because it is trying to play the game videos at a different resolution (and possibly using a different codec or something). I have found a way to tell it to play the in-game videos at a lower resolution using command-line parameters. The videos don't look great but the audio works so it is at least playable. I don't know how used to dos you are so I will talk you through it.

1.Load DOSBox and mount your folders as normal. Navigate to the city2000 folder.
2. type 'cd london' and hit enter.
3.If you are playing fullscreen then type 'lonexe /sf /v1 /w1' and hit enter. If you are playing windowed type 'lonexe /sf /v2 /w1' and hit enter.

This will run the game minus intros but the video should run. For an explanation of the v and w parameters type 'lonexe /?'. Essentially, specifying v0, v1, v2 or v3 you select one of four video modes for the game. v1 and v2 are low res and v0 and v3 are hi res, with v1 and v3 scaling to half screen width which looks better in fullscreen mode. v0 is the default which the game normally runs, but for dosbox you need v2 or v3. (specifying w0 will also stop the annoying wipes when you move around in the game).

If you want to be able to load the game in the normal way (i.e. by typing 'london' as normal) then do as follows:

1.Open windows explorer and navigate to the 'city2000' folder.
2. Open the 'london' folder.
3. Right-click 'london.bat' and click 'edit'. This should open the file in notepad.
4. Locate the line 'lonexe /SF /V0 /W1'.
5. Type 'REM' at the beginning of the line so that it now reads 'REM lonexe /SF /V0 /W1'.
6. Add a new line below that one and either type 'lonexe /SF /V1 /W1' or 'lonexe /SF /V2 /W1' depending on how you want your video to look (see above for the difference).
7. Click 'File | Save' and exit notepad.
. Return to DOSBox and type 'london'. After the intros the game should load with working video.

Let me know how you get on.

Reply 6 of 12, by Piney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Knuckles, Thanks for your efforts! As you were working on it I was also working and getting ready to type in my results. I feel very stupid but I found an accessory disc for the game. It said TANDY on it so I thought it was just for TANDY computers and never loaded it. I did load it now and it must have had updates for the game because now it plays properly in DOSbox. Although on the list of games evaluated in DOSbox City2000 is listed as runable but not playable--maybe the reviewer did not have the 2nd disc.
Sorry for the dumbness on my part and thanks for your help.

Reply 9 of 12, by knuckles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

PM means private message. To do it click the 'pm' button below my post. On this board it allows you to attach files up to 5 Mb. It is sensible to use it rather than email as you don't have to give out email addresses to complete strangers.

If you wanted to be friendly to all you could attach it to a post here (click 'quick reply to topic' without entering any text, and it gives you more options), although I don't know if this board has policies on posting files as I only joined it to reply to your thread. However, as it is just a patch (and only useful to people who already own the game), I can't see there being a problem with making it available.

Reply 10 of 12, by Piney

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is the Update from the floppy that came with my version of City2000.

Attachments

• Filename
    City2000 Update.zip
    File size
    285.88 KiB
    Downloads
    388 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception