VOGONS

First post, by laffer35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey 😀

I'm having issues with the DOS version of Gabriel Knight 2. I'm using the latest version of Dosbox.

The problem is that there is a lot of tearing while displaying videos. I'm not sure if the DOS version always did this but I can't remember it being this bad.

It tears in every video and sometimes in more than one places at a time.

I'm using standard config.. I've tried various settings but haven't been able to fix it.

My specs -

Intel P4 3,4
1 gig ram
Nvidia GeForce 5500

Reply 1 of 2, by dougdahl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Without seeing a screenshot, I can't say much. But GK2 did display the videos in a way that might seem wrong.
Attached is a screenshot from my computer. The way I've always remembered the game looking.
(Sorry about the size, but I was a bit worried about the lines not being visible if it were smaller)

The technical term is interlacing.
There is a way I've heard about removing it, but I've never tried it.
https://gkpatches.vogons.org/
(If you're using Windows, I would presume the standard caution of checking out every file you download would apply.)

For any other troubles, I doubt if I could help much.

Though perhaps if others saw what the tearing looked like, it might give them an idea how to help.

Attachments

• sierra_000.jpg
    Filename
    sierra_000.jpg
    File size
    55.43 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 2, by laffer35

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh no, that's not what I mean.. I am using the de-interlace patch btw, I never liked those scanlines.

Anyway, the problem I have is tearing.. like in this screenshot -

tearing.jpg

However, I downloaded Gulikoza's custom build and that seems to have fixed it.. I wonder if it's related to the VGA_PARTS 4 setting in Dosbox.. read something about that but I have no idea.

But it seems much better now with this custom build by Gulikoza 😀