VOGONS

First post, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does anyone know how one can use DOSBox to debug IPX messages from a game? I was able to successfully play C&C DOS with another friend via DOSBox IPX tunnelling.

However I cannot get C&C DOS working under XP over native LAN... even though I got many other DOS games working under XP over native LAN (eg. Blood, Doom, etc.).

So am wondering whether C&C DOS uses a totally different IPX protocol... maybe NE2000 or something....

Reply 1 of 13, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

DOSBox can not do that. Remember, the IPX-support in DOSBox isn't really IPX. It is IPX-data, wrapped in an IP-packet, that is being transferred between 2 DOSBox'es.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So am wondering whether C&C DOS uses a totally different IPX protocol... maybe NE2000 or something....

IPX is IPX. Maybe you have to configure specific setting for C&C, i don't know. NE2000 is a network card (or type of NIC), and has nothing to do with the protocol.

Btw: instead of trying to snoop network data (which is no easy feat), you should learn to use Google. Here's what i've found with 10 secs of searching:

http://www.gidforums.com/t-4535.html
http://cnc2sw.planetcnc.gamespy.com/dos_xp.php

EDIT: it seems these links do not explain the IPX features. You could take a look at a tool called "Hamachi".

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2008-04-24, 11:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 3 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i recall from the changes to our ipx that c&c uses some things that other games don't use.
Something with the broadcast address or so. Maybe check the cvs logs of dosbox and the file history of ipx/ipxserver in dosbox

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 13, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is no way to enable LAN play at all. The number one reason is due to the fact that the IPX protocol was re-written in Windows XP/2000, and is now incompatible with C&C. C&C uses a different layer of the IPX protocol to play multiplayer over a network. This layer is no longer used and was phased out of the IPX protocol.

Hmm... well he did refer to the gold95 version... but I assume this ipx usage applies to the dos version of the game.

Anyways, I still get the same probs with Syndicate Wars. I still can't figure out why it won't work across native LAN.. hence why am trying to see whether it uses unsupported IPX layer in XP.

How easy would it be to write a replacement XP IPX driver? what about grabbing the one from 98?

Reply 5 of 13, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
andrewwan1980 wrote:

How easy would it be to write a replacement XP IPX driver? what about grabbing the one from 98?

Two words: forget it (for both).

But won't you tell us what you're trying to do? You keep writing something about "native LAN", and i don't understand what you mean by that. Tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and maybe there's workarounds to achieve it.

Reply 7 of 13, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ADDiCT wrote:
andrewwan1980 wrote:

Two words: forget it (for both).

But won't you tell us what you're trying to do? You keep writing something about "native LAN", and i don't understand what you mean by that. Tell us what you're trying to accomplish, and maybe there's workarounds to achieve it.

Sorry, to clarify, when I say native LAN I mean running the DOS game under native Windows XP using the IPX protocol across a physical wired LAN. No DOSBox and no VDMSound used. The only thing used is maybe the NT virtual machine (NTVM) IPX drivers that XP uses.

The reason is because I managed to get some DOS IPX games working under Windows XP using just the supplied NTVM drivers across wired LAN (eg. Blood, etc.). Once I know the IPX settings (frame type, etc.) then it can be easily applied to VPN (Hamachi, etc).

Why old games? Because some people still like to play 4-8 player of those games... which we can't under new PC systems and Windows XP. And it's very very hard to setup an old PC.. and I don't want two PCs. emulation/virtualization is too slow when considering 4-8 player games...

Reply 8 of 13, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

it would probably be possible to write a vdd... but C&C runs rather well in DOSBox.

C&C runs well under DOSBox single player. But when I did a 2 player, it was SO SO slow. Until DOSBox could improve the IPX tunnelling to be super faster... then I think playing without DOSBox (if possible) is the fastest for 4-8 multplayer.

2 player Blood was reasonable. but 3 players and above the game started timing out, etc... but yeah, this was 1 year ago... but I'll give another try... maybe DOSBox has improved now.

Reply 9 of 13, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

With my not-so-new AthlonXP 2400 I could play 2-player through Internet quite good. It might help to disable CD sound (move the music slider all the way to the left) even if it does not play.

1+1=10

Reply 10 of 13, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
andrewwan1980 wrote:

Why old games? Because some people still like to play 4-8 player of those games... which we can't under new PC systems and Windows XP. And it's very very hard to setup an old PC.. and I don't want two PCs. emulation/virtualization is too slow when considering 4-8 player games...

What exactly is stopping the "new PC systems" from running WinXP to execute older DOS games under the NTVDM with the IPX VDDs? Was it the lack of NTVDM full-screen support on some of the newer NVidia/ATI/Intel video adapters or a problem with IPX support?

Be interested to hear why if you have the time...

dvwjr

Reply 11 of 13, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dvwjr wrote:
What exactly is stopping the "new PC systems" from running WinXP to execute older DOS games under the NTVDM with the IPX VDDs? […]
Show full quote
andrewwan1980 wrote:

What exactly is stopping the "new PC systems" from running WinXP to execute older DOS games under the NTVDM with the IPX VDDs? Was it the lack of NTVDM full-screen support on some of the newer NVidia/ATI/Intel video adapters or a problem with IPX support?

Be interested to hear why if you have the time...

dvwjr

Sorry, what I meant to say is that SOME older games won't play multiplayer under Windows XP's IPX driver... according to ADDiCT's reply and his follow-up link to:

http://www.gidforums.com/t-4535.html

The former Westwood employee says,

There is no way to enable LAN play at all. The number one reason is due to the fact that the IPX protocol was re-written in Windows XP/2000, and is now incompatible with C&C. C&C uses a different layer of the IPX protocol to play multiplayer over a network. This layer is no longer used and was phased out of the IPX protocol.

There is a patch to make C&C play multiplayer, but only max 2 players. What I was looking for was the original version playing 4 players.

Syndicate Wars seems to have similar problems under Windows XP.

Other IPX games are fine, eg. Doom, Blood, Carmageddon, Light Bikes, etc.

Reply 12 of 13, by andrewwan1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Qbix wrote:

i recall from the changes to our ipx that c&c uses some things that other games don't use.
Something with the broadcast address or so. Maybe check the cvs logs of dosbox and the file history of ipx/ipxserver in dosbox

How can I check cvs history?