VOGONS

Need help Installing Windows 1.0

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Salim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello guys.

Ever since last January, when I found a website that had some old productivity applications still on (mostly word processors, but I also found some spreadsheets and such, but those were win based and didn't need DosBox), I came by several very old versions of Windows, including Win 1.0! Naturally, you people would probably tell me it's better to fiddle around with Windows 3.1 (which I have very strong memories of using), but just for the 'neatness' factor I wanted to use the very first, original Windows 1.0.

So what's the problem? Installing the bugger was a pain. I opened up the .rar files that contained disk 1 and disk 2 of Win 1.0, but simply putting them in the same directory did nothing to run the thing. I tried to install it, but it then asked me to insert the disks. I actually dug up some old 3.5in floppies that my sister kept around, containing mostly old university assignment she long since submitted and are not needed by anyone anymore (I used to use diskettes myself, but I always tossed away one when I was done with it, never keeping it and buying a new one every time, which was a shame since I think I'd have around 15 or so if I kept them!). But the thing is, it wouldn't even read the disks and Dosbox just hanged or the installation program just asked for the same old questions (which directory do you want to install Windows into, etc) and never did anything.

I decided to create a directory on my second harddisk to act as an A:\ drive, so I wouldn't have to use actual floppies, but that didn't do anything.

So... now that I've stated my situation, is there anyone here who can help me out in trying to install and run the very first version of windows? 😉 Oh and if you want or need the installation files, I'll give the link to it.

Reply 3 of 15, by Salim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Darn, I didn't notice it was on the broken list! 😁

And it will stay like that.

I definitely hope not, I don't think any application or program or game should ever stay broken.

EDIT: I checked out from the DosBox page on it that it is possible to run it, but the deal is, it'll be a pain in the @$$ to do it. I think I'll go for Win 2.0 and salute 1.0 for the time being... maybe when DosBox 0.99 comes out, it'll be flawless! 😁

Last edited by Salim on 2008-06-07, 19:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 15, by valency

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you are really hankering after seeing the original Windows 1.0, you can try using Bochs or VirtualPC. Both of these are complete virtualizations of an IBM PC. You'll need an original version of MS-DOS (DR-DOS is also a possibility) to install to go with Windows 1.0, as Windows always used undocumented hacks to DOS's internal data structures to load.

Reply 11 of 15, by Salim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for all the tips, though I wasn't THAT hankering to use the Original Windows 1.0 (I've lived all my life without it, and I think I'll continue to survive), but still, I'll give it a shot with those tips sometime.

Anywho... since I was told that Windows 2.03 still worked, and I checked out the DosBox wiki about it... I was a bit confused about this part.

http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Software:Windows2x

Create a file in your DOSBox C drive called WIN.BAT with the contents: VER SET 4.0 C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM VER SET 5.0 […]
Show full quote

Create a file in your DOSBox C drive called WIN.BAT with the contents:
VER SET 4.0
C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM
VER SET 5.0

How do you do this, exactly?

Last edited by Salim on 2008-06-08, 04:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 15, by simondewaal1980

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i've ssuccesfully installed and played with windows 1.01. Here is what i've done:

1: Downloaded a diskimage of dos 3.3, see www.bootdisk.com
2: Downloaded the free virtual pc 2007
3: Made a 20 mb hdd image in V. pc 2007
4: Install dos 3.3 in Virtual PC on HDD image
5: In virtual PC I installed my copy of windows 1.01
6: downloaded winimage
7: Openend virtual pc hdd image in winimage and converted it to .ima format
7: mounted newly converted hdd image in dosbox
8: booted with: boot yourdos33.ima yourHDD.ima
9: When booted in dos 3.3, just: cd\windows
10: win

That's it. Hope you will manage to run win 1.01 this way. I'ts recommended to do the config with setup in virtual PC. The right confg is then included in the hdd mage. Just remember the chosen videomode and mouse setting and use these settings in a dosbox config.

Best regards,

Simon, Holland