VOGONS

First post, by irvoke123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I'm trying to install a sequencer called "Voyetra Sequencer Plus Gold" in DOSBox. The problem is that this program normally comes on four floppies, and everytime I try to install it, the installer doesn't detect the new floppy in the drive when it asks for the second disk. This also happens when I don't mount the actual floppy drive, but instead a folder from my hard drive as the floppy drive. To my understanding, hitting CTRL + F4 should refresh all the mounted drives in DOSBox but it doesn't seem to work. Other commands like for example the CTRL + F12 (increasing CPU cycles) do work in this situation though, so I don't think there's any F-Locks or anything like that turned on that would prevent the usage of CTRL + F1-12. I don't have any problem refreshing the mounted drives outside the installer at the DOSBox command line, though. Now at this point one might suggest putting all the files from all four floppies into the same folder and trying again, but unfortunately each disk has a file of the same name, called DISK.ID, but they are still all different files of content so I can't mix em up or replace them with each other or anything like that. Is there a possibility that the installer program itself has "reserved" the CTRL + F4 (even though it doesn't seem to do anything that would be noticable on-screen) so that it can't be used to refresh the mounted drives? Any ideas how I can get the program installed? Thanks in advance.

I'm using Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and DOSBox version 0.72.

Reply 3 of 35, by xtra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am afraid I might be too late, but I think the best option is to get an already installed copy of Seq Plus Gold. It doesn't make sense to "emulate" the installation procedure.

If you haven't gotten it already, I can send you one. Anyway, the core files are always the same, the installation program only generates different batch files for the drivers that you choose, and installs those drivers.

You can manually add the desired drivers instead.

Reply 4 of 35, by bartok01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear friends,

I am a veteran user of the Voyetra SPG (I do it since 1993 and I never stopped ever since). Now I am facing a little problem. I moved from my home town Buenos Aires to Italy, and I couldn't take with me my vintage-only-for-SPG hardware with me, a 1992 386 DELL PC that still works perfectly. Can you advise me on what to do to be able to use my beloved SPG again?

Should I buy an old PC DOS-compatible?
Does DOSBox provide a solution?
The SPG version that I have is the one that came with and old Voyetra V-24 MIDI interface, and maybe not compatible with more modern MIDI interfaces.

As you may see, I don't know where to start from, so any advice is welcome.

My best regards to all,

Diego

Reply 6 of 35, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SPG can be run under DOSbox if you have a fast enough machine.

It will send it's MIDI to Windows, which then uses standard Windows MIDI output, such as a USB midi interface - $50 or so.

The batch file that loads your version of SPG loaded the Voyera V22 driver, so you have to change it to load the MPU401 driver, which is on your SPG disks.

Reply 7 of 35, by bartok01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear friends, I found a simple solution that, so far, allows me to use SPG without external hardware, and it is simply with the DOSBox, and with Sony Virtual MIDI Router (http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/dl/dl.aspx?dwnid=77). The SVMR is an old virtual router developed W95, 98, NT and 2000, but seems compatible with XP so far. I installed and tried it initially with success.

Tweaking a little bit the DOSBox (default 3000 CPU cycles put to around 10000) I got the usual SPG response speed. The essential sequencing features work just fine, even playback with various VST instruments sounds perfect. I'm just having trouble with the metronome, which sounds with a delay that renders it unusable. Anyway I plan to substitute it with a midi track with a custom-made click, that will be surely more reliable. So, some 60% of the problem is apparently solved.

I only have to figure out (the remaining 40%) how to manage to receive MIDI data from an external keyboard (USB or MIDI). If you have any idea, let me know!

I'll keep experimenting with it and share with you the results...

Thanks for your answers.

D.

Reply 8 of 35, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I send SPG data to Ableton Live all the time.
Loopbe works for the routing.

The hardware is needed if you have external synths.

SPG allows a MIDI metronome signal to be sent instead of the speaker beep. Look at your metronome settings.

Reply 9 of 35, by bartok01

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Basically I could resolve the OUTPUT problem but not the INPUT. Don't have MIDI IN at all in the DOSBox. I have some external controllers (a MIDI and a USB) that I normally would use as "input" while recording with the SPG.

I was reading that thread with Srecko about the patch to get the midi in feature in DOSBox, and I was not able to use it properly, probably because I'm doing something wrong about the patch.

Question, did you manage to select a MIDI IN in DOSBox and make it work with SPG?

Is there any compiled EXE, or would you mind to briefly explain what to do with the patch? I'm not familiarized with developing so for me sounds near to mongolian.

Thanks again!

D.

LONG LIVE THE SPG!!

Reply 17 of 35, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes that's the thread.
It ended with Qbix saying:

"added fixrtmidi.diff to cvs".

I assumed that meant the next version was eventually going to have the MIDI timing fixes and MIDI input, but something must have changed, since there's no MIDI input on .73..

Reply 19 of 35, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That makes sense.

The input patch worked perfectly for me, and I still use it all the time, so maybe it might get added to to the CVS?

(I PMed Srecko, but havn't heard back..)

Fingers crossed!!