VOGONS

Problem with some games.

Topic actions

First post, by GreyAlex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all.
I need a help with one very bad problem.
In games such SQ 5-6 and Quest for glory 4...and maybe in others games... i have problem with dialoges in game. They are very fast. How i can slow down the speed of dialoges in games in DosBox?

Reply 4 of 22, by GreyAlex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Latest version 0.72 DOSBox
Win XP Prof + SP3
Core2Duo 6600-2.4GHz
Memory 2GB
MB-Asus P5B
Video-nVIDIA GF 8800 GTS 512MB
Sound-Analog Devices AD1988 @ Intel 82801HB ICH8 - High Definition Audio Controller [B-0]

Reply 6 of 22, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

HMM I DON'T KNOW maybe those ctrl-f11 and f12 keys that dosbox tells you about on startup!!!!

Those don't work with the default Dosbox screen since auto & max aren't affected by them.

Reply 7 of 22, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Try a normal core and 10000 cycles, then adjust the cycles up or down in 1000 increments and find the sweet-spot. I may dig the games out and get you a config if I get time.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 12 of 22, by GreyAlex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness CD's original requirements:

MS-DOS 5.0 or Windows 3.1 or greater
386/25 minimum, 486/25 recommended
2x CD-ROM
4 MB RAM
1 MB Hard drive space minimum, 25 MB recommended
VGA
16 bit sound card recommended
Mouse

Reply 13 of 22, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the speed of displaying dialoges same.
But speed between click's and displaying dialoges different.

The time how long the dialogs are displayed is too short, right?
Check some of the game's options, there might be some possibility
to have them displayed longer.

Reply 14 of 22, by Sephiroth

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

With those specs you should be running between 5000 cycles and 10000 cycles. Since the cycles are that low you can also use the normal core. That is what I would recommend, as well as going overboard and offering it 8MB of RAM since it needs a minimum of 4MB. That should make it run nicely.

Also, the range of cycles I gave is a starting point. Adjust the cycles up or down while in-game using CTRL+F11 and CTRL+F12 as needed to make it run smoothly.

486 Launcher v2.0 is now under development!

Reply 15 of 22, by GreyAlex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to wd - nop. There no any options for this. Only speed of moving a player.

i'm tried use this help » http://tawmis.com/collector/Games/QuestForGlo … fG4&DOSBox.html
but patches don't help with this problem.
core=normal
cycles=10000
cycleup=1000
cycledown=1000
didn't work too

Reply 17 of 22, by Barbecued Jjack

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quest for Glory 4 has a speech pack (resource.aud) which needs to be correctly pointed at by resource.cfg.

If you have the file, then you should put it in the same directory as the game and modify your resource.cfg to reflect that - change the line to "resAUD = .\" without the quotes.

If you don't have the file then you need to turn off speech, which as far as I know has to be done from the in-game menu. Go to the save/load menu, and turn off the "audio" option.

What's happening is that the game thinks you have the speech pack, and so is trying to reference that every time it brings up a dialogue box. Ordinarily it waits until the narrator has finished talking, but since you don't have it set up correctly there's no sound to wait for. Thus, speedy text.

I hope that helps. 😀

Reply 18 of 22, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Barbecued Jjack has it. CD games need to have the CD mounted, too. The resource.aud file is left on the CD by the installer and is accessed from the CD by the game. Much of the timing in the game is based on this file. If this is a downloaded version that did not come with this file, you will need to buy a legitimate copy. If you have your CD, you can try my new installer for the game on this page: New Installers for Sierra Games.