VOGONS

First post, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I used the Win95 to Dos Patch for Phantasmagoria 2 to play in DosBox and I've almost completed the game. However, now the game will crash at a specific scene with Error 47. This is not corrected by the official patch, because that one only resolves Error 47 at ANOTHER Location. The Patchnotes/Readme describe the exact problem I have.

Problem: You receive an “Error 47” message when playing Curtis as a child and trying to hug his mom. Solution: This error messa […]
Show full quote

Problem: You receive an “Error 47” message when playing Curtis as a child and trying to hug his mom.
Solution: This error message seems to be caused by a combination of factors. The CD ROM may not be set up as efficiently as possible in Windows 95. As a result of this, the current saved game may have gotten corrupt.
Check to make sure you are loading 32 bit Windows 95 drivers (see above).
If your drivers are recognized by Windows 95, you will want to be sure that the CD ROM is optimized. Go to My Computer and click on your Control Panel. Go to the System icon. Choose the Performance tab, then the File system button. Go to the CDROM tab. If you have an IDE CD ROM drive you will want to make sure your Supplemental Cache Size is set directly in between small and large. Set the Optimize Access Pattern for the speed of your CDROM (for example, 4x or higher). If you have a SCSI CDROM, set the Optimize Access Pattern for No Read Ahead. Click on Apply, then Okay. Close the next window and allow the computer to restart.

You will also want to be sure you have the most recent drivers available from the manufacturer for your CDROM drive. The driver is the software that controls the CD ROM. Manufacturers frequently rewrite this software to make the hardware run more efficiently. You can usually go to the manufacturers web site and download newer drivers for free.

Finally, once the CD ROM is setup correctly in Windows 95, go to an earlier saved game (not the game that caused the error message). You should now be able to play through the scene.

Now what could I do in DosBox that could possibly help me out?

Note: I tried to play the part in normal WinXp cmd.exe, which gives shitty sound and 16 colors, but that didn't work either, same error.

If no one can find a solution, may someone please supply me with a save game right after the mom-encounter?

Reply 2 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So why would you try to play it with the NTVDM without even VDMS? Remember that it will not shield you from incompatibility problems or speed issues. If you insist on using the Windows version, use this new installer:

http://www.squirtthecat.com/games/phantasmago … ia_2/index.html

Your old save games will not work, so you will need to start the game from the beginning.

Reply 3 of 7, by cmw

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried with vdms too, that corrects the sound problem but still has shitty 16 colors, but also gives me the error. I also restored an earlier savegame and tried from there, but that also didn't work.

I'm using Daemon Tools to mount the CD Images btw, it seems strange that it should be a CD issue.

If nothing else helps I will try the XP installer (sad thing I didn't find that when I looked into how to play the game in the first place). Playing through all of it again will be a bit annoying, but at least the videos look better this time.

Reply 4 of 7, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it seems strange that it should be a CD issue.

Well that text you cited speaks of nothing else than cdrom speed problems,
so maybe try a cue/bin pair along with a rather early savegame for testing.

Reply 6 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cmw wrote:

If nothing else helps I will try the XP installer (sad thing I didn't find that when I looked into how to play the game in the first place). Playing through all of it again will be a bit annoying, but at least the videos look better this time.

These installers have only existed for a short time, now. Perhaps I should post in the Release Announcements.