VOGONS

First post, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Atlantis is one of those games that still is claimed not to work in DOSBOX. Yesterday, how ever, I tracked down a cheap copy which *claimed* to be for DOS too, only to discover they had removed the DOS installation folder from the CD to make room for some Cryo demos.

Now, if anyone has Atlantis, would they mind zipping up that folder ? It should be called atl_dos. Then I'd be able to test Atlantis and see if I can get it working in DOSBOX. Incidently, it can't be run in Vista. This should be a very small folder - the data file is used for both Windows & DOS so it would only contain a few installation files.

Reply 1 of 8, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Count me in on being interested in this. I have Atlantis the Lost Tales which says it is the Windows 95 native version, but a look at the files on CD1 includes a batch file named dosinst.

I then downloaded a patch for the game from Patches Scrolls that, when unzipped into an Atlantis directory I created, shows itself to be c:\atlantis\altdos.exe.

I wasn't able to install the game in Windows; I get an error message. A workaround suggests that you need a program called Philips to fool the install into thinking you have a smaller hard drive. And when I try to install the game in DOSBox (I tried copying the contents of CD1 over into an Atlantis directory I created), it tells me that it won't install unless it's in Windows.

So, I will be watching this topic with interest. I would really like to get the game running in DOSBox; on Windows XP natively, it's a major pain in the neck.

Reply 2 of 8, by Zebius

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last year I played and completed Atlantis on my laptop with XP SP2, I used this guide to install it:
http://home.earthlink.net/~infernofilecabinet … ntisI_Setup.htm

But I think I have a version with demos (or trailers) included, I can't confirm it, 'cause can't find the game at the moment.

Reply 3 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would be interested in this, too. No such folder on my CD, but mine has the dosinst.bat file. The batch file contains:

cd \atl_dos
install.bat

but then I guess that is where you found out about the atl_dos directory.

Reply 4 of 8, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yep that's right. I received an archive with the folder from a friend on this forum but the game itself is not completely playable. Everything works fine except that turning around the screen is very very slow. It takes a big effort to move around this way.

Reply 6 of 8, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I received the same folder that red_avatar did (presumably from the same helpful source). 😀

I am experiencing the same results. The introduction runs promisingly and all seems well, but once you get into the actual game, movement is terribly slow. I just tried dynamic core and unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference at all. I'm running the game on a dual CPU 1.8 GHz.

I had sent my source an email thanking him and telling him the game worked well, but I was definitely premature in my judgment; I had only seen the intro and hadn't tried to move around in the actual game. 🤣 The movement irritation isn't just a minor difficulty that wouldn't bother those who are patient; it's a major impasse to playing the game at all. Rats!

If anyone has suggestions for other tweaks to try, I'm all ears.

Reply 7 of 8, by Marian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Marian wrote:
I received the same folder that red_avatar did (presumably from the same helpful source). :) […]
Show full quote

I received the same folder that red_avatar did (presumably from the same helpful source). 😀

I am experiencing the same results. The introduction runs promisingly and all seems well, but once you get into the actual game, movement is terribly slow. I just tried dynamic core and unfortunately it didn't seem to make any difference at all. I'm running the game on a dual CPU 1.8 GHz.

I had sent my source an email thanking him and telling him the game worked well, but I was definitely premature in my judgment; I had only seen the intro and hadn't tried to move around in the actual game. 🤣 The movement irritation isn't just a minor difficulty that wouldn't bother those who are patient; it's a major impasse to playing the game at all. Rats!

If anyone has suggestions for other tweaks to try, I'm all ears.

ADDENDUM: I have since upped the mouse sensitivity along with changing to dynamic core, and things are better; not great, but an improvement. I think it's just a matter of figuring out optimal settings in the DOSBox config and after that the game will be playable. Please post here, anyone, if you find the right combination, and so will I. 😀

Reply 8 of 8, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Win 95 version seems to run OKL for me, but I would like to get the DOS version going smoothly in DOSBox. My next OS will be 64 bit. I do not want to use a virtual machine.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers