VOGONS

First post, by 22/7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Recently found out about DosBox and have been dicking around with it. I've run into a problem that I've been unsuccessful in trouble shooting, and it looks like this is the place to ask this kind of question. If not, please move it (and let me know). Thanks.

Ok, here's the question. I'm running Pool of Radiance and I've gotten it to run just fine, but saving is glitchy. Whenever I save and then load, the entire party is just copies of whichever character was last in the order. I've done this repeatedly with different size parties (2, 3, 6, 8 ) and every time it comes out the same. It also appears that saving in one of the save slots saves in every save slot (a, b, c, etc.). Anybody ever run into this issue before or have any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance!

Reply 1 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

I am pretty sure that the first question to pop into the minds of the people reading this post is: Where did you get the game from, and how did you install it?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 15, by 22/7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, we've had it since I was about 12 back when we ran it on our old 386. But I didn't really install it so much as copy it off of my brother's old hd. So it's sitting on my thumb drive right now. If I can get this to work, I'm planning on running through all three of them (Pool, Curse, and Secret).

Reply 3 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Then we need to know how the original directory structure looked like on that 386 - the paths to where it was installed, and then compare them to the structures and mountings you have in DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 15, by 22/7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I assume the structure on my brother's lappy will work? I don't think the 386 still runs. I'll work on that and let you know what I find out.

Edit: Just so I'm not leaving you guys hanging, apparently someone else has experienced the same thing and it's been reported to DOSBox. Apparently they're treating as a bug and working on a fix.

Reply 5 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

WE ARE DOSBOX.

Reply 6 of 15, by 22/7

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THIS IS SPARTA?
Here's what I was referring to. About half way down,

There is also an error afflicting some users of DOSBox where you are able to create, save and add characters, and then adventure, and save, but on returning later, your savegame is corrupted, with all six slots taken up by one character, and the name of your save folder having the last letter removed. I have reported this to DOSBox and according to one of the authors they are treating it as a bug and are seeking a fix.

Last edited by 22/7 on 2008-07-14, 19:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

doesn't sound familiar to be honest. I would probably have handled that if it was submitted by email. have to look it up in the archives.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 8 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Never heard of that either.

So to start over: use the current dosbox version, install the game WITHIN
dosbox and check the paths in the game's configuration files to match the
relative paths of your mounting.

Reply 9 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

The comments in the compatibility database mentions some problems with saving:

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?showID=74 … r=P&search=pool

I will be very surprised if it is not a case of wrong paths configured in the game.

Reply 10 of 15, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is caused by running the game from the installation cd. It has a known bug
that will clone 1 character to all slots and saved games. So run the game with the start.bat
located where you installed the game to, to avoid this problem. It will not fix already
corrupted saved games, so delete those and start over.

As a bonus, adding the command STING after the st.exe in the start.bat file will remove
the tedious need to use the codewheel when starting the game.
The start.bat in the game directory should look like this.

@echo off
conf
if errorlevel 1 goto :End
st STING
:End
cls

Reply 12 of 15, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I don't know why it does it, only that it does. Most of the problems that I
had with the collection were answered and solved by this old tech help page.

http://web.archive.org/web/19990921040940/htt … h/ad&dhelp.html

I assume it was a poorly written installation program that introduces the bug.
And is not present in the game code itself.

I was unable to get that link into a more friendly link box, so if an
Admin wants to clean it up for me, thank you.

Reply 14 of 15, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I saw this topic I thought it might have been about the sequel, though it was for Windows not DOS. Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor was very buggy. The biggest one was with the uninstall program which would wipe out system files.

Reply 15 of 15, by ovvldc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not only that, but the PoR:RoMD user interface was truly horrible. You may be much happier getting Neverwinter Nights and playing one of the PoR mods made for it..

-Oz