VOGONS

First post, by ovvldc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dear techies,

I have been reading the pages of HX Extender and I am wondering if this can be used to run such games as MechWarrior 2 Titanium and X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter.

I understand that these games use very few of the features Win9x has, so I figured HX might do th trick.

Am I on the right track here? Has anyone tried this? Or I am just daft and would I need to recompile the games if I wanted to use HX Extender. If so, is there another way?

Best wishes,
Oscar

Reply 1 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

it could work. I never tried it. I only tried running dosbox inside dosbox with hx extender. That worked.

Don't these games have dos versions ?

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 12, by ovvldc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried to get HX DOS Extender to work with both Mechwarrior 2 Titanium and X-Wing 95. I copied of the DLLs mentioned in the HX documentation, as well as any DirectX file I could find from an old Win98 installation and put them in a fodler I added to the PATH .

In both cases, I got the following quick end of my experiment:

D:\INSTALL>dmpild32 -g setup.exe

DMPI loader version 3.5.0
Copyright (C) 1993-2008 Japeth

D:\INSTALL>win setup.exe
Illegal command: win

D:\INSTALL>

In other words, it wants a proper windows, which is something thought I would catch by using HX. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

BTW, I can't use hxldr32.exe because the documentation says it doesn't work with DOSBox:

HXLDR32 isn't compatible with DosBox. This is due to a bug in DosBox's emulation of DOS int 21h, ax=4B01h.

I am pretty sure I am missing something really elementary here, but I just don't know what.

Best wishes,
Oscar

Reply 4 of 12, by nudgegoonies

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow. That DOS extender is new to me. The Win32 api support seems ahead of WDOSX because of the DDRAW emulation. By the way, if the games you mentioned are real console apps they may run in DosBox with WDOSX stubit.

Reply 5 of 12, by Estron

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ovvldc wrote:

BTW, I can't use hxldr32.exe because the documentation says it doesn't work with DOSBox:

HXLDR32 isn't compatible with DosBox. This is due to a bug in DosBox's emulation of DOS int 21h, ax=4B01h.

Boot a floppy image with DOS inside DOSBox instead of using the Int21 emulation. Then at least HXLDR32 will work.

a.k.a. Christian

Reply 7 of 12, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've gotten Quake 2 to work in a Pure MS-DOS 6.22 running under VMWare thanks to HX Extender and the GUI addon. It runs like crap, but it is a good and REAL extender for wrapping Win32 to xDOS environments.

Havn't tried it in DOSBox. The main appeal to me about HX is able to play really old Win9x games in Vista/Win7 x64. I tried researching building Wine for Windows, and even asked for help from the Wine community, but was shot down with Linux fanboys telling me to just move to Linux.

ovvldc wrote:

In other words, it wants a proper windows, which is something thought I would catch by using HX. Can anyone tell me where I went wrong?

You might need to modify the EXE directly with the HX PE re-writer thing, its detailed in the documentation. Apart from that, doing some raw HEX editing can't hurt 😉 might need to decrunch the binary though.

ovvldc wrote:

BTW, I can't use hxldr32.exe because the documentation says it doesn't work with DOSBox

Try booting DOSBox into pure DOS instead of using the default psuedo-DOS.

nudgegoonies wrote:

Wow. That DOS extender is new to me. The Win32 api support seems ahead of WDOSX because of the DDRAW emulation.

I noticed this is an old thread, but since that post it also has basic OpenGL emulation and even has experimental support for standard Win32 Controls.

Regards,
CosmicDan

Reply 8 of 12, by WonderSlug

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Why are you running Quake 2 this way?

If you want to run 32-bit Windows apps on 64-bit Vista, there is a 32-bit Compatibility Mode where you can tell Vista 64-bit to run the app as if it was on a Windows XP SP2 system.

Iwill KK266 Plus | Athlon XP 1800+ | 1024 MB DDR266 RAM (2 x 512) | 2 x WDC 120 GB HD
GeForce FX5200 128MB AGP 4x | SB Live! Value PCI | NEC 3520A DVD | Win XP Pro SP2

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ovvldc wrote:
I tried to get HX DOS Extender to work with both Mechwarrior 2 Titanium and X-Wing 95. I copied of the DLLs mentioned in the HX […]
Show full quote

I tried to get HX DOS Extender to work with both Mechwarrior 2 Titanium and X-Wing 95. I copied of the DLLs mentioned in the HX documentation, as well as any DirectX file I could find from an old Win98 installation and put them in a fodler I added to the PATH .

In both cases, I got the following quick end of my experiment:

D:\INSTALL>dmpild32 -g setup.exe

DMPI loader version 3.5.0
Copyright (C) 1993-2008 Japeth

D:\INSTALL>win setup.exe
Illegal command: win

D:\INSTALL>

I bet you could fix this by making a win.bat file that simply executes whatever argument gets passed to it.

Reply 10 of 12, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

That won't (usually) work because it's setup.exe itself that "checks" for windows
being active (then the pe part of the executable is executed, the dos exec
one just executes the "win setup.exe").

Reply 12 of 12, by danielc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
WonderSlug wrote:

Why are you running Quake 2 this way?

If you want to run 32-bit Windows apps on 64-bit Vista, there is a 32-bit Compatibility Mode where you can tell Vista 64-bit to run the app as if it was on a Windows XP SP2 system.

Yeah, original Quake II and it's many impressive source ports work fine on Win7 x64. I was just using an example, the fact that Quake II runs under pure DOS is somewhat of a development milestone for an extender 😜

Regards,
CosmicDan