VOGONS

First post, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! 😀

I'm using the .72 version of DOSBox. I've tried all the different sound settings available in DOSBox (using the D.O.G. frontend) and no matter what I do I can't get MOO(1) to "allow" GM. That is, it'll show the option in its Setup (the game's Setup program, not DOSBox's setup) and I CAN select it, but it's dimmed, and when I attempt to run MOO1, I hear the clicking sound that tells me that the sound drivers have initialized, but the screen hangs on black and nothing happens. Switching to Adlib/SB mode solves the problem - but of course the music doesn't sound as good as I'd like.
Oddly, the Roland options AREN'T dimmed, but I haven't done a thing to setup those options; I prefer GM to MT-32 emulation (when there's a choice) because I can use high-quality SoundFonts through Timidity++.

So can anyone please help me to get General MIDI working with MOO1? Thanks! 😀

Reply 2 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks for the reply. 😀

I tried selecting "IRQ 2" for GM in MOO1's setup program, and had the same problem as before (hanging on black after sound clicking.) It still was dimmed in the setup program's menu, too. MIDI was already set for Address 330 so I didn't need to change that.

Reply 4 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, thanks again.

Yes, 1.3 has been the version on my PC for quite some time now. I'm afraid updating isn't the answer.

Maybe your DOSBox sound settings differ from mine in some important way?

I have:
MPU-401: Intelligent
Device: Default
SB16, Port 220, IRQ 7, DMA1, HDMA 5.
Beeper, Disney Sound, Tandy, Gravis all disabled.

Reply 6 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried UART, no change. Strangely, I have the exact same problem with another game from the same developer, "Master of Magic," which I believe uses pretty nearly the same game engine as MOO.

Reply 8 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am beginning to think that there may be some issue regarding communication between DOSBox and Timidity++. Can anyone else who is using Timidty++ for their Windows MIDI driver please tell me their Timidity++ settings? Thank you.

Reply 10 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All right,

if I let the program go long enough, the game does eventually proceed beyond the black screen and load. However there is no music of any kind unless I use the setup program to enable Adlib/SB FM-based music; if I select GM, nothing sounds, and the game takes a while to start as I said, but if I use FM music then everything proceeds normally.

Weird stuff...

Reply 11 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to keep reposting, but I see no button to edit previous entries.

Just writing to say that I've now tried MIDI with various games in DOSBox, and all exhibit one issue or another, either failing to load or simply playing no music at all. This despite my settings in DOSBox having been changed to various configurations (on the MIDI tab of my Front-end) and despite my setting things up properly in each game's setup program (330, IRQ 2.)

For what it's worth, I seem to have a similar issue with Gravis Ultrasound games, despite my having download the folder with everything setup in it (from another post on this forum) and having pointed DOSBox to it.

Reply 15 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Isn't there something about a midi-device number one has to set in dosbox.conf?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 16 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't know, frankly. I'm just doing everything through my frontend, D.O.G. I've set all the available settings. In any case, whichever Windows MIDI Device it chose, I should still get SOMETHING...shouldn't I?

Still wouldn't quite address my Gravis issues - but that's for another thread I guess.

Reply 17 of 26, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is always a good idea to READ the README:

/LISTMIDI Lists the available midi devices on your PC (Windows). To select a device other than the Windows default m […]
Show full quote

/LISTMIDI
Lists the available midi devices on your PC (Windows). To select a
device other than the Windows default midi-mapper, add a line
'config=id' to the [midi] section in the configuration file, where
'id' is the number for the device as listed by LISTMIDI.

[midi]
# mpu401 -- Type of MPU-401 to emulate: none, uart or intelligent.
# device -- Device that will receive the MIDI data from MPU-401.
# This can be default,alsa,oss,win32,coreaudio,none.
# config -- Special configuration options for the device. In Windows put
# the id of the device you want to use. See README for details.

mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 18 of 26, by uglyhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not certain if you are attempting to be rude in your reply, but in any case the information that you have provided is of no relevance to my issue.

I have gotten one GM game to work successfully with DOSBox and D.O.G. frontend, that game being Star Trek: Judgement Rites. It plays MIDI through Timidity++ just fine, with no delays, no silence, etc.