VOGONS

Theme Hospital problems

Topic actions

First post, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all. Just joined here. I downloaded DOS BOX as a way to possibly get Theme Hospital working properly. For a while I was able to get it to work on XP SP2 just by installing and without having to use compatibility mode, but I had to start using compatibility mode due to some freezing issues, and compatibility mode now causes the mouse to lag in game, so I'm trying out DOS BOX. I followed all the directions in the Wiki for mounting and all that good stuff, but when I go to start the EXE in the folder, it tells me the program cannot be run in DOS mode, even though I thought it originally run in DOS? There's another EXE in the main file as well called DOS4GW, which looks like an EXE to get the DOS version running possibly but when I try to run it, I get this:
DOS/4GW fatal error (1004): syntax is DOS4GW <executable.xxx>

However, get this. Just for the hell of it, I mounted the CD ROM as well, and wouldn't you know it, the EXE works on that, and the game seems to run smooth. Now, I would run that, but I can't access my save files if I run it off the CD. Can anyone help me out here?

I also thought of something while posting this. The CD was from Sold Out games and included the latest patch, which I applied when first installing it. I'm thinking that the EXE I ran on the CD was the unpatched version which still will run on DOS and that's why I was able to run it. I suppose I could try reinstalling the base version without the patch, save my save files, and try running the old version with my save files on DOS BOX. I'll let you guys know how that works out.

Reply 1 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got most of the way through your guide, but unfortunately hit a wall at the point of installation. When I go to install, it says it could not write the files correctly and to try again, even though it gets to the end of the installation. I would try installing on another drive but I can't type slashes in DOS BOX and as such I can't type the full directory. I don't think I'm gonna be able to install through DOS. I mounted the game directory on my C: drive as C and the CD ROM is actually the E: drive mounted as D:. I also tried a few other things, such as trying all of the compatibility modes outside of DOS Box. Using the compatibility mode for later versions of Windows solved the laggy mouse but I'm still getting freezes. I uninstalled and reinstalled just the old version of the game to see if the EXE would run in DOS but when running the EXE off the hard drive, it still says it can't be run in DOS mode. Running the DOS4GW EXE gives the same result. I also tried disabling Norton while playing, but still problems.

Reply 4 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

None of the solutions in the readme worked for me. I added all my commands to the config file including the directory I want to use to install but it won't show up in the directory field when the installation starts. I have no idea what to do with the keyboard layouts as far as changing them. I tried the keys around enter but none are the slash. The links for Keyb2.0 are broken and I couldn't find it in Google. I will see if there's a sticky around here which has a link to it. All the other solutions I didn't mention in the readme did not work.

Also, is it really necessary to install the game through DOS? If not, then I would rather just save myself the hassle and install through the CD in Windows, which has no problems.

Update: I searched a bit in the forums. Keyb2.0 isn't a program? I was reading through one topic and saw that keyb.com was a command, I thought it was supposed to be a website. 😜 Anyhow, I tried that command and "Keyb US", even though my keyboard is standard US but to no avail.

Reply 5 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reply 7 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
coreyos wrote:

I got most of the way through your guide, but unfortunately hit a wall at the point of installation. When I go to install, it says it could not write the files correctly and to try again, even though it gets to the end of the installation. I would try installing on another drive but I can't type slashes in DOS BOX and as such I can't type the full directory. I don't think I'm gonna be able to install through DOS. I mounted the game directory on my C: drive as C and the CD ROM is actually the E: drive mounted as D:. I also tried a few other things, such as trying all of the compatibility modes outside of DOS Box. Using the compatibility mode for later versions of Windows solved the laggy mouse but I'm still getting freezes. I uninstalled and reinstalled just the old version of the game to see if the EXE would run in DOS but when running the EXE off the hard drive, it still says it can't be run in DOS mode. Running the DOS4GW EXE gives the same result. I also tried disabling Norton while playing, but still problems.

Changed it around a bit to this:
"mount d D:/Program Files/Old Games"
"mount e E: / -t cdrom"

I changed the drives around a bit because I was going to try installing on my other hard drive since the installation was giving me trouble on the C: drive.

@wd: I'm not sure exactly where you want me to type this. I typed that command but it tells me it's an illegal command. I tried a few different combinations of it too.

Reply 9 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
coreyos wrote:

Changed it around a bit to this:
"mount d D:/Program Files/Old Games"
"mount e E: / -t cdrom"

Thank you!
Now try to do it like the guide said (and without a space between E: and /):

mount C "D:/Program Files/Old Games"
mount D "E:/" -t cdrom

Reply 10 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

I'm not sure exactly where you want me to type this.

Right after starting dosbox (z:\ prompt).

I'm typing this but I'm still getting the same result. "a " without the quotes was what you wanted me to type, right? When I go to type it after starting DOS BOX, it says it's an illegal command.

@Minimax: Sorry, I forgot to mention I put a space in there for my post because without the space, it created an emoticon (e:/). In DOSBOX, I typed it just as you wrote.

Reply 12 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

When I go to type it after starting DOS BOX, it says it's an illegal command.

So you can type a \ or not? I'm not talking about hitting enter.

Oh ok. Yeah I can type that. I just can't type any kind of slashes in the installation program for the game.

Reply 13 of 31, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
coreyos wrote:

@Minimax: Sorry, I forgot to mention I put a space in there for my post because without the space, it created an emoticon (e:/). In DOSBOX, I typed it just as you wrote.

So you type

mount C "D:/Program Files/Old Games"
mount D "E:/" -t cdrom

then

D:
install

and then what??

Reply 14 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, I got the game to install successfully by trying another file on the CD and the game's EXE will run off my hard drive now. I've just got a few problems:

-The game still freezes after a few minutes of play. I'm not sure if there's anything further that can be done to fix this. I tried patching the game to the current version but when I go to run the patch program, it says it must be run in Win32.
-The sound in game is a little behind, so I'm going to try changing the sound card driver that's being used for the game and see if that will fix it.

Reply 16 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't know what patch you think you are running, but the only patch that exists for Theme Hospital (Theme Hospital Fix #1, also known as Theme Hospital 1.1 or Theme Hospital beta5) is a DOS application.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 17 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

I don't know what patch you think you are running, but the only patch that exists for Theme Hospital (Theme Hospital Fix #1, also known as Theme Hospital 1.1 or Theme Hospital beta5) is a DOS application.

I installed the patch you mentioned and I'll let you know how that works. This is the readme from the patch that was included with my CD. I don't know what version it is. However, when I searched for Theme Hospital patches on Google, I found this one most often:

======================== Theme Hospital(tm) Patch ======================== […]
Show full quote

========================
Theme Hospital(tm) Patch
========================

If you are experiencing any technical problems try installing
the Patch.

To install the patch do the following:

1. Go to the 'Start' button on your Windows task bar,
2. Select 'Run',
3. Type:- D:\Patches\TH_Patch_SO.exe
(assuming that the letter of your CD-ROM drive is d:)
4. Click 'OK'.

What does the patch/update do?

This file adds difficulty levels to the game and also adds
Multiplayer support for Serial connection (2 players), Modem connection
(2 players) and IPX Network connections (4 Players)
The file also corrects a number of graphical glitches and common
gameplay problems, including crashes in the middle of a game.

Update: I installed the patch you linked to but I'm still getting crashes.

Reply 18 of 31, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure you just haven't forgotten to increase the cycle count and the game is locked up because you need to give it more CPU cycles? That would also explain sound problems.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 19 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Snover wrote:

Are you sure you just haven't forgotten to increase the cycle count and the game is locked up because you need to give it more CPU cycles? That would also explain sound problems.

Maybe. I have no idea what the cycle count is or how to change it though. Plus, the freezing problem occurred before I tried running the game on DOSBOX, I don't know if that would change anything. I went to find DOSBOX after the freezing started to see if running it in DOS would stop the freezing problems. Also I tried the patch you mentioned and unfortunately I had the same results.