VOGONS

First post, by brakenwagen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Getting sound to work in Dosbox is difficult. This is because sometimes I can’t tell if there even is supposed to be music in a certain part of the game. There are few games I would like to ask about regarding the music

Eye of the Beholder
When I’m in the first Dungeon the sound effects work but there is no music. When I compare the DOS version to the SNES port I found that the SNES version had music in the first Dungeon so this makes me believe that the DOS version should have music in the first Dungeon as well.

The Bard’s Tale
The intro music works but when I go into the town and fight battles there is no music to be heard. Again I found a Console port and compared it to the DOS version. Once more I found the port that is for NES full of music. If any one can confirm weather or not the DOS version is supposed to have more music it would be much appreciated.

Alien Cabal
A doom clone I found. The intro music works but once I get into the maps there is no music. I have no console port to compare this to but it still seems odd that a FPS would have no music.

Reply 2 of 14, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
dh4rm4 wrote:

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

Only perverted androids.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 14, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not so much a fan, more of a rabid devotee. So far, I feel "A Scanner Darkly" to be the closest filmic represetation of his written work. Blade Runner, while awesome as a stand alone film, gets many aspects wrong and ignores others completely whilst Pay Cheque was just plain awful.

Reply 6 of 14, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brakenwagen wrote:

Getting sound to work in Dosbox is difficult.

Getting sound to work in DOSBox is incredibly easy, especially when compared with getting soundcards working in a real DOS era machine. Your expectations are not correct that's all.

Eye of the Beholder : The SNES port has different music and smaller maps. You can't expect both games to be the same, as they were done by different dev teams on wildly different hardware.

The Bard’s Tale : See above. Also, the DOS version was released quite a few years prior to the NES version and as such it only had support for PC Speaker. Of the lot the Amiga version is the most 'multimedia'.

Alien Cabal : I can't be sure but it's possible that's the way the game is.

Reply 7 of 14, by FeedingDragon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
brakenwagen wrote:
Getting sound to work in Dosbox is difficult. This is because sometimes I can’t tell if there even is supposed to be music in a […]
Show full quote

Getting sound to work in Dosbox is difficult. This is because sometimes I can’t tell if there even is supposed to be music in a certain part of the game. There are few games I would like to ask about regarding the music

Eye of the Beholder
When I’m in the first Dungeon the sound effects work but there is no music. When I compare the DOS version to the SNES port I found that the SNES version had music in the first Dungeon so this makes me believe that the DOS version should have music in the first Dungeon as well.

The Bard’s Tale
The intro music works but when I go into the town and fight battles there is no music to be heard. Again I found a Console port and compared it to the DOS version. Once more I found the port that is for NES full of music. If any one can confirm weather or not the DOS version is supposed to have more music it would be much appreciated.

Alien Cabal
A doom clone I found. The intro music works but once I get into the maps there is no music. I have no console port to compare this to but it still seems odd that a FPS would have no music.

Eye of the Beholder only had music during the entro sequences. I don't think any of them had music during actual game play (on the PC or the Amiga, the only 2 systems I've ever had them for.

Bard's Tale had in game music. However, only when you had a bard in the party and the were playing a song. This was true in every version of the game I had (PC, Amiga, & C64.) However, Bard's Tale 1 and 2 only had PC speaker sounds on the PC. They did it right, though, and made the sounds system speed indipendent, so they play correctly even on modern 2+ Ghz systems. No need to use DOSBox at all for those. Bard's Tale 3, howver, used Adlib (or compatable,) music. So, with this one you need either VDMSound or DOSBox to hear the music. IMHO, DOSBox is better. As long as the game will actually play well in DOSBox I will use that every time over VDMSound.

I'm afraid I have no idea concerning Alien Cabal. Never had it 🙁 Sorry.

Feeding Dragon

Reply 8 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I own and have played Bard's Tale on a real DOS machine in 1990 and I can confirm there is no sound whatsoever other than the music in the tavern.

Some console versions add in-game music to alleviate the emptiness of the original computer game, famous example being Maniac Mansion for the NES.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 14, by RetroEmerald123

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOS games DO actually have music, but make sure you check your Computer Speaker. I have a Windows XP and it runs only on one small chip. When I had my 98 with me, it was an FM Synthesizer as a PC speaker. Didn't do much good on pitch shifts, but great nonetheless.

I put in example, "ElfLand: Gorgimer's Castle". You'll find that the PC speaker is playing a happy tune (if you have a 98. Otherwise, it would just play a single instrument). Speaking of DOSbox terms, it'll play the same happy tune, except one semitone lessened. In Layman's terms, yes. DOS games have music.

Pentium (tm) or greater processor not found.

THIS CAN'T BE HAPPENING!!!

Reply 10 of 14, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

offtopicking a bit, pardon me (ouch!)

dh4rm4 wrote:

>A Philip K. Dick fan?
Not so much a fan, more of a rabid devotee.

hear, hear
someone showing good taste 😁

dh4rm4 wrote:

Blade Runner, while awesome as a stand alone film, gets many aspects wrong and ignores others completely whilst Pay Cheque was just plain awful.

I subscribe. Verbatim.

Let me ask you though
among us Dick worshippers
what about The Man in the High Castle
honestly don't you think for once PKD was outdone by N. Spinrad's The Iron Dream on this paradoxical fireworks ?

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 12 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I put in example, "ElfLand: Gorgimer's Castle". You'll find that the PC speaker is playing a happy tune (if you have a 98. Otherwise, it would just play a single instrument). Speaking of DOSbox terms, it'll play the same happy tune, except one semitone lessened. In Layman's terms, yes. DOS games have music.

I may not have understood everything you wrote, but keep in mind when playing a PC speaker music game in DOSBox, the music will not be played through your machine's PC speaker but will be emulated and played through your sound card and whatever speakers you have hooked up on that.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 13 of 14, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gidierre wrote:
Let me ask you though among us Dick worshippers what about The Man in the High Castle honestly don't you think for once PKD was […]
Show full quote

Let me ask you though
among us Dick worshippers
what about The Man in the High Castle
honestly don't you think for once PKD was outdone by N. Spinrad's The Iron Dream on this paradoxical fireworks ?

I'll have to read both of those as alternate history sci-fi has never held much attraction for me. I'll do so and get back to you.

I'd be interested in a movie or TV series of Galactic Pot Healer. That's, in my view, one of his better works.

Addict : What's got up your nose? Philip K Dick is responsible for influencing almost every modern science fiction idea that's been explored in movies, games, TV and radio. And unlike Robert Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke or Isaac Asimov he did so without ever losing his ability to write interestingly. Asimov's Foundation series sprawls many books and time periods and yet Philip K Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep says more about androids and future humanity then the entire Foundation melodrama seems to.