VOGONS

First post, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Two questions re the old Sierra sub sim Fast Attack.

1) I'm present running it via DOS box v 72. However, I am unable to run any animation or cut scenes during game play without my comp crashing. If I turn these features off at the preference screen, the game proceeds with no further problems. Is this a product of my comp specs or the nature of the app (a zip download)?

2) I recently discovered I can purchase the original game (CD) on line. Though it is described as a DOS app, does the fact it is the original CD app mean I will be able to view the animations and cut scenes automatically?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Random downloads of games often results in strange problems - which is the primary reason this forum rarely gets involved in trying to figure out what the cause is.

If you get a licensed copy (e.g. on a CD) then I am pretty sure we can get it to work - eventually.

Have you tried checking the DOSBox compatibility list?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm - don't see Fast Attack.

http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?search=attack

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 12, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fast attack was very prone to crashes. Have you installed the patch?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 5 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Though I didn't play for vary long, it played flawlessly for me in DOSBox, including cut scenes. This, of course is with a legitimate CD. I can't say anything about what your ripped version might be doing.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 12, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, guys. Guess what I was asking was there anything relative to ripped versions that made them particularly prone to this kind of thing. But you guys have pretty much answered that.

I'll wait till and if I get the CD and get back to you.

(an aside: I'm an ardent sub buff, books, games, etc., for a DOS app, this little gem, in spite of the present glitches, is a real find...talk about realism!)

Again, thanks. You guys are super!

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 8 of 12, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the heads up. Oh, and I ordered FA today from ebay. Let you guys know if I have any trouble gettin' it up (Dang! should've re-worded that, but I've already clicked Submit). 😊

Reply 9 of 12, by tempus2

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would also recommend Jane's 688(I) Hunter/Killer. Has a bit of a learning curve, like all good sims.
But it's a nice compromise between realism and playability imho. W95 and plays fine under XP,
so would guess it should also play under Vista. Sorry if slightly off topic. 😊

Reply 10 of 12, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Appreciate it.

Got the CD today, can't overstate how cool it is. Animations, cut scenes galore!

(Yeah, I hear ya, In a month or so he'll probably toss it, and be saying, Fast who?)

I hope this isn't too OT, but I'm unable to use 3rd party (FRAPS) apps for screen shots and in-game vids. (I running DOSBX .72) I punch the hotkey, it just kills whatever's happening then moves on to the next game event. Am I missing something or is this app non-fuctional in the game?

Reply 11 of 12, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

dosbox can make screenshots and movies itself. just check the special keys section in the readme

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 12 of 12, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bingo!

Chalk up another one for Vogons!

You guys are truly worth your weight in daisys 😁 !