VOGONS

First post, by TimmyNeedle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I bought Transport Tycoon which uses a DOS emulator (I think) called DOSBOX. When I run the game it doesn't execute and I get a message in a black screen saying "Ran out of stack buffers",

I'm using Vista. I'm pretty sure this program used to work when I had it on my other PC a long time ago.

Please help!

Kind Regards,

Tim.

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Bought? Where? Don't the seller provide support?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yep. you have been had. If you are very lucky, you might be able to get your money back. If not, you will have to learn how to use DOSBox and hope it is something you and we can fix.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://www.classicgamingpresents.com/Terms.htm

Disclaimer: […]
Show full quote

Disclaimer:

What does CGPT Ltd Offer? We offer our customers an Installer which patches various
old classic games to make them work on newer versions of Windows (XP & Vista). We
do not in anyway sell the actual games, we only give them away for free as abandonware.

So, what is abandonware? Well, the Wikipedia explains it as;

"Abandonware refers to computer software that is no longer claimed, owned, or
copyrighted. While the term has been applied largely to older games, other classes
of software are sometimes described as such. Definitions of "abandoned" vary; generally,
it refers to software no longer available for legitimate purchase or of a certain
age. Software companies may change their names, go bankrupt, enter into mergers, or
cease to exist for a variety of reasons. When this happens, product rights are usually
transferred to another company that might not sell or support the software acquired."

We do not claim any ownership on the software titles offered in anyway what so ever.. They
are all classed as either Abandonware, freeware or are covered by the GNU licence. If you
are the copyright holder of any of these titles and you don't want us to offer your
game(s) or you think something we offer is still being sold by the copyright holder,
contact us and we'll take the respective piece of software down immediately!

Dosbox;

Dosbox is the emulator that we use so that you can play these games on Windows Xp &
Vista. Dosbox is available for free at www.dosbox.com and is covered by the GNU licence
which a copy of is in the program file folder.

So what are we actually selling then if the game and Dosbox are given away for free? Well,
we are selling the patch installer which makes it as easy for the customer to just
download, install and play on Windows XP and Vista.

Need more information?

If you need more information regarding our service, please do not hesitate to contact us
at admin@classicgamingpresents.com

🤣. What a bunch of assholes.

Mabye we should have a Good/Bad list of sites/companies on the DOSBox website?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

is this company infringing dosbox license?
http://www.gog.com/en/forum/general/to_gog_mi … gal_action/17/1
http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=4059.msg52719

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I could get a lawyer/legal team together, do you think any of you guys could help me out with getting resources together to take this site and others like them down? I have access to one the of the most knowledgeable legal minds in Australia.

Reply 8 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And the money to pay for court sessions and lawyer fees?

I think the only people that'd be able to take down this kind of sites are the copyright owners, who obviously don't care too much.

Reply 9 of 10, by dh4rm4

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A class action suit isn't that expensive to raise, most law firms will support something like that on a pro bono basis - as long as there's enough evidence to prove the case.

The copyright owners would be interested because not all of the site's product listings are end of line product and then there would be customers whove' already payed, such as th OP who would not only be interested in the validity of the sales in question but also the secuirty of their credit records etc. This then leads on to the the credit organisations involved whose customer records and transaction records also need to be protected.

Reply 10 of 10, by TimmyNeedle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OH MY GOD!

I go to sleep here in the UK and the morning I wake up to find all of this?

Where do I begin?!

I hope I haven't broken the law!

How do I get this game to run then? Is there something wrong with DOSBOX? What do I do?