VOGONS

First post, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...an out-of-game big picture of the Area of Operations in FAST ATTACK is enabled with a command line switch in DOS. It can be added to the "fast.bat" file. The command switch is "/TEDISPLAY"... 😒 😒 😒

OK. This guy's talking about a cheat here, that I'm sure. After that, I'm twisting in the wind. A command line switch and the how-to of adding it to the fast.bat file is totally Greek to me. I'd like to give this a shot and would greatly appreciate a guiding hand. As always, much thanks.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 1 of 8, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

when you installed the game, there should be a file called fast.bat in the installation folder. Open this file in notepad (.bat files are just textfiles with commands written in them). There should be some exe call in this file, probably with some other switches in it.
for example
game.exe /someswitch /someotherswitch

change this to
game.exe /someswitch /someotherswitch /TEDISPLAY
and save the bat file.
now start Dosbox as before, cd into the folder and type fast and hit enter.

Reply 3 of 8, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A belated question re command line switchs.

I notice in the batch file of the game mentioned above, FAST ATTACK, there is 1% 2% 3% after the exe and before a particular switch.

Firstly, just what is this, and 2ndly, if applicable, is this peculiar to this app particularly or might you see or use it in others?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic - A. C. Clarke

Reply 4 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's quite common. Those are placeholders for command line arguments - but I think you put the percentage signs in the wrong spots.

If you had a file called foo.bat that contained the line

bar.exe %1 %2 /whatever

then if you ran

foo.bat quux quoz

the batch file would actually execute

bar.exe quux quoz /whatever

Reply 5 of 8, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, but that went right by me.

I understand, generally, the term placeholder; but the terms you used in your example above, are they actual commands or non-sense words for purpose of illustration?

It would be helpful is you could suggest possible commands that might be used in an actual file.

And finnaly, I gather it's OK to delete them, the %1 %2 %3, without harm.

Thanks, Jorpho, I appreciate your interest.

Reply 6 of 8, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Just read the example that Jorpho posted a few times. The %x things will
have an effect when the batch file is called with parameters itself,
like in the example you type "foo.bat quux quoz" rather than just "foo.bat"
and the %1 will be replaced by quux etc.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
papalou wrote:

It would be helpful is you could suggest possible commands that might be used in an actual file.

I don't see them very often and can't think of a good example. It is fairly uncommon for a program to require so many command line arguments and also be launched from a .bat file.

And finnaly, I gather it's OK to delete them, the %1 %2 %3, without harm.

Only if you're never launching the program with multiple arguments.

Reply 8 of 8, by papalou

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, guys. I know it must try your patience sometime when some us just don't seem to "get it". Appreicate you guys hanging in there with those of us who are a little bit slower on the uptake. Again, my thanks.