VOGONS

Ultima 6

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Runenklinge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When running Ultima 6 in DosBox,the sound seems to run fine,but it crackles even when no music is played.I have tried both Adlib and MIDI settings and have the Adlib Patch applied.

Reply 3 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Runenklinge I have tried both Adlib and MIDI settings and have the Adlib Patch applied.

Well the patch is only needed when running U6 on faster machines (post-386), so you might try the unpatched version.

BTW, when you say "crackly", you mean the music, right? Not sound effects? I remember wondering why U6 kept "buzzing" at me until I realized that was the PC-speaker sound effects being played at turbo-speed.

P.S. In your DosBox configuration file is your keepsmall set to TRUE?

Reply 4 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
Runenklinge wrote:

thx Qbix,I tried to lower CPU usage,but even at very low values when the game was hardly running the sound still crackled.This doesn't always happen though,the intro sound plays correctly 😠

Well you can increase the cycles as well. That was actually my recommendation with the warning that you shouldn't set it too high.

(and maybe increase in the frameskip as well)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by robbo007

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hiya,
Could you give me the values for the cycles and frame rate that work?

I have the same problem. Sound effects are played too fast and sound really annoying. The fountains in LB castle sound like cracking vinyls. 🙁

Would be good if someone would do a sound effects pack 😀