VOGONS

First post, by nickj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've got DOSBOX v0.72 installed successfully on a Dual CPU G5 2GHz Mac w/ 2 GB RAM running OS 10.5.6. No cards installed in any slots. I am using dual monitors. I run from an account with admin rights.

When I try to run Third Reich (3R) by Avalon Hill in either DOSBOX directly or via BOXER, a DOS window will flash forward and then DOSBOX will crash with no error dialog. Examining the system.log file does show errors below. (Although I wouldn't expect warnings on deprecated methods to crash the app.)

I am able to run the 3R installer without issue and configure and test the sound using the setup.exe app in 3R.

Yes, I've searched the forums.

Any thoughts?

Nickj

Jan 19 22:42:55 G5 /Applications/Boxer (DOS BOX)/Boxer.app/Contents/Resources/Boxer (DOSBox Session).app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox[50126]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
Jan 19 22:42:55 G5 /Applications/Boxer (DOS BOX)/Boxer.app/Contents/Resources/Boxer (DOSBox Session).app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox[50126]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 DOSBox[50126]: Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 com.apple.launchd[108] ([0x0-0xb73b73].net.washboardabs.boxer[50094]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 50126 PPID 50123 DOSBox
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 com.apple.launchd[108] ([0x0-0xb73b73].net.washboardabs.boxer[50094]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 50123 PPID 50120 sh
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 com.apple.launchd[108] ([0x0-0xb73b73].net.washboardabs.boxer[50094]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 50120 PPID 1 osascript

Reply 1 of 8, by nickj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Since I thought the log entries regarding orphaned PIDs was odd, I tried rebooting. No effect.

I did also try changing the various memory, speed, and other compatibility settings in BOXER. Also no effect.

Nickj

nickj wrote:
I've got DOSBOX v0.72 installed successfully on a Dual CPU G5 2GHz Mac w/ 2 GB RAM running OS 10.5.6. No cards installed in any […]
Show full quote

I've got DOSBOX v0.72 installed successfully on a Dual CPU G5 2GHz Mac w/ 2 GB RAM running OS 10.5.6. No cards installed in any slots. I am using dual monitors. I run from an account with admin rights.

When I try to run Third Reich (3R) by Avalon Hill in either DOSBOX directly or via BOXER, a DOS window will flash forward and then DOSBOX will crash with no error dialog. Examining the system.log file does show errors below. (Although I wouldn't expect warnings on deprecated methods to crash the app.)

I am able to run the 3R installer without issue and configure and test the sound using the setup.exe app in 3R.

Yes, I've searched the forums.

Any thoughts?

Nickj

Jan 19 22:42:55 G5 /Applications/Boxer (DOS BOX)/Boxer.app/Contents/Resources/Boxer (DOSBox Session).app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox[50126]: CPSGetCurrentProcess(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
Jan 19 22:42:55 G5 /Applications/Boxer (DOS BOX)/Boxer.app/Contents/Resources/Boxer (DOSBox Session).app/Contents/MacOS/DOSBox[50126]: CPSSetForegroundOperationState(): This call is deprecated and should not be called anymore.
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 DOSBox[50126]: Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 com.apple.launchd[108] ([0x0-0xb73b73].net.washboardabs.boxer[50094]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 50126 PPID 50123 DOSBox
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 com.apple.launchd[108] ([0x0-0xb73b73].net.washboardabs.boxer[50094]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 50123 PPID 50120 sh
Jan 19 22:42:56 G5 com.apple.launchd[108] ([0x0-0xb73b73].net.washboardabs.boxer[50094]): Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 50120 PPID 1 osascript

Reply 2 of 8, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't help with the game unfortunately as I can't find a version of it to test - but the stray PID errors are caused by Boxer's own sloppy process-juggling, and they don't affect what happens in the DOSBox session itself.

Reply 4 of 8, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If you're familiar with mounting and running the game by hand anyway then you can launch DOSBox in a new terminal window by doing the following:

1. Right-click on DOSBox.app and choose "Show Package Contents", then
2. Browse to Contents/MacOS/ and doubleclick on the DOSBox unix executable there.

If you don't have the standalone DOSBox application handy then you can do this with Boxer's own DOSBox, which can be found inside Boxer.app at Contents/Resources/Boxer (DOSBox Session).app.

(FWIW, the next version of Boxer will probably log DOSBox's stderr and stdout to the OSX system log to make this kind of diagnosis a little easier.)

Reply 5 of 8, by nickj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info:

1) When I run boxer by launching from a shell, I get the intro splash screen of the game and then it crashes dosbox with no errors shown

2) When I run from dosbox directly (via a shell), I can never get to the splash screen before it exits. However, I do get the following error:

Exit to error: MSCDEX: GetDirEntry: Not an ISO 9660 CD

I tried mounting the CD with all the options shown in the read me (with and without -usecd 0 and -noioctl).

I'm puzzled, when I mount as simply /VOLUMES, dosbox doesn't find the CD. When I mount as /VOLUMES/CD_NAME, I get the error. As opposed to a true windows machine, I don't see how to mount it at the drive letter level such that the cdrom would only show the CD_NAME when mounted and not also my hardrives. On the other hand, if I mount it to the CD_NAME level, the path won't look like a windows cd path.

Is there a different path I should use to mount it to?

Thanks.

Reply 7 of 8, by Vigil

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so you can launch the game successfully in DOSBox by mounting the CD with the command MOUNT d /Volumes/Your_CD_Name -label Your_CD_Name, is that correct?

In this case Boxer is doing something wrong when it is mounting the CD - either it is misreading the CD's name (is the name you used exactly the same as the volume name as it appears in Finder?) or else it is applying the -usecd 0 flag when it shouldn't.

I suspect it's the latter and I may need to special-case this game if it still doesn't work in the next version of Boxer. If you are able to help test a fix for this, please get in touch with me directly.

Reply 8 of 8, by nickj

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I was not explicit enough.

I have to mount the cd as:
mount d /VOLUMES/THIRDREICH -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl -label thirdreich

anything less fails.

If you'd like to try a new DOSBOX version, I could do that.