VOGONS

First post, by morpheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not directly DosBox related but hopefully someone here has an idea. I have King's Quest I (AGI version) on 3.5" floppy, and it does something on load to verify the presence of the original floppy. If I clone it with WinImage, it doesn't load. Does anyone know how to either clone it properly or bypass the check? My x86 assembly skills are not up to the task but it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to do...

Reply 1 of 7, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These AGI disks deliberately have disk "corruption", formatting some parts of that disk in an unusual way that disk copy programs cannot usually duplicate. I seem to recall it uses that uncopyable data to decrypt part of the program itself. There was an old ISA board that could copy these disk, called the CopyIIPC Option board. Nowadays, you're probably out of luck with those. More recent versions of the AGI games have been unprotected by Sierra themselves, some on floppy disk, but mostly on the CD compilations. You can usually pick those up for a small amount in a bargain bin somewhere. Search for the "King's Quest Collection" etc. SCUMMVM also allows you to run AGI games, but I'm not sure if it deals with these "key disks" properly.

Reply 2 of 7, by morpheus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I am out of luck copying the disk.

According to the Amazon reviews, the "King's Quest Collection" only has the SCI remake of KQ1. If there is an unprotected version with the original AGI graphics available anywhere I would really like to know!

Thanks

Reply 4 of 7, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

These disks have bad tracks that really require CopyIIPC and the Central Point Option Board to be copied correctly. However, I found that if you replace the uncracked .com file with a cracked .com file from the Collections, then the copied disks work just fine.

Reply 5 of 7, by djp

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, at the AGDI website (also known as Tierra Entertainment) 😀 - http://www.agdinteractive.com/games/games.html

edit - @ temptingthelure

Never try to outstubborn a cat. - Lazarus Long

Reply 7 of 7, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kippesoep wrote:

SCUMMVM also allows you to run AGI games, but I'm not sure if it deals with these "key disks" properly.

ScummVM does override it. I believe that whenever the copyright holder released an unprotected version of a game, ScummVM will bypass the protection. If there was no official release of an unprotected version the copyright is not bypassed.