VOGONS

First post, by Skunkeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_to_Undermountain

Ive read the guidelines for requesting help here in the Dosbox forums but I believe this game may be a little different due to its well known issues. Where the better question may be what specs you have to get this game working? Doing web searches I have seen many claims that this game does not support soundblaster dispite its listing for it in its setup.

Very glad to see Interplay back and alive. here is their support page with dead links for this game.
http://www.interplay.com/support/support.php?id=405

here is a youtube link to video gameplay
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tAYoC3QFyw

I have the actual game CD Descent to Undermountain
myself I have a Windows XP
2.80ghz 1gig Ram , 256 vid
I have not tried this yet on my old 386 and 486 PC

If anyone has any details on how to get this game to work through Dosbox or by any other means please let me know.

www.NWNPodcast.com

Reply 1 of 12, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 12, by Skunkeen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Reading alot more , still having some problems following your guide.

But also due to the known issues with this game and plus its not listed here.
http://www.dosbox.com/comp_list.php?letter=D

I really wonder if it will work at all following these guides like a fruitless quest.
in some of the links ive shown above claim there is no soundblaster support for example spite the games requirements. this is a rare gem that never should of been.

can anyone claim this game works?

www.NWNPodcast.com

Reply 3 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Skunkeen wrote:

I have not tried this yet on my old 386 and 486 PC

Don't even bother. It's designed for Pentiums minimum.

I didn't have trouble setting up sound in it, BTW. The whole 'no sound' thing you read about probably refers to trying to run it under NTVDM which is a bad idea anyway.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a CD of this crappy game and was able to install it in DOSBox using its install program.

There is an opening movie that refuses to play beyond a note and a frame. One can get past the loading screen to the main menu, but when I tried to start a new game, I get the error that appears in the screenshot and am booted back to DOS.

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    5.16 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 7 of 12, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have good news, I can confirm that Undermountain seems to work in DOSBox. I didn't try it for very long and performance was not great. Use default machine and cpu types to get it to work.

The opening movie, however, stutters all the time. Is there anything that can be done about that?

Reply 8 of 12, by wildweasel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The movies in most Interplay games of that era tend to have stuttering issues in DOSBox, I notice, usually (partially) fixed by using a BIN/CUE image instead of the original disc...but your mileage may vary, I'd think.

wwsig2-button1.pngwwsig2-center.pngwwsig2-button2.png

Reply 9 of 12, by artician

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying to get this game to run now as well.

After a bit of effort I have gotten it to install and allow me to create a character. I'm unable to get into any gameplay though. You can click around the static city map to visit shops and experience a couple dialogue sequences, but as soon as I try to enter the game itself it crashes to desktop.

I happen to like revisiting crappy games, so I'd love to hear any experiences from others.

Reply 12 of 12, by jarl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I faced the same problem a few weeks ago when I did some clean-up and found a bunch of old games I hadn't finished...

I was able to run this game and finish it. First, you need to mount both the intrplay folder and the cdrom drive and make sure to disable the loadfix.
Hit 'esc' key to pass the buggy intro video. The game worked better with d-frend releaded front-end. Oh and make sure you patched the game before play(dtu1-3.exe).

This game itself is strange as it require a 'powerful for it's time computer' while still ruinng on a dos based engine and yet no 3df support. Interplay messed things real bad with this game

The problem seem that there are still not enough memory avaible with dosbox: with the maximum setting you are still on the verge of the game minimum requirement(200 MHz with 64mB) if you could just go to 300Mhz with 128mb(maybe future releases of dosbox will allow) that would probably be better. Also the memckeck show like 0 virtual memory all the time but I don't know what cause this.

Hope it helped. good luck on playing this game .