VOGONS

First post, by Burnov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm really trying hard to get this game installed.

Once upon a time I had a cd-rip version of the game which worked wonderfully, but now I'm stuck with this cd rom version which appears to be impossible to install.

Help?

Reply 2 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Use the attached config-file, and it should work.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    3.02 KiB
    Downloads
    552 downloads
    File comment
    Config file for X-COM Apocalypse version 1.00.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 8, by YoAAL

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a similar problem I think.

Recently I found my old XCOM: Apocalypse game, original cd from 1997 spanish version. Now I am having a big problem trying to install it, every time I try the install program says cd-rom speed is not high enough. I tried creating a .iso file from my cd and mounting it with a virtual dvd drive but it didn't work.
The game can continue installing even with that error but it will exit past 90% without having finished the install missing key files like xcomapoc.exe, I tried to copy this files directly from the cd to the instalation folder but when I tried executing xcomapoc from dosbox (even after closing and reopening dosbox) it said Invalid Command: xcomapoc so that didn't solve it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention one more thing. Installer doesn't even go beyond the checking cd speed phase unless I use "mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl"
instead of "mount d d:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0"

Reply 6 of 8, by Marty A

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try doing the minimal or medium install instead of the complete. I got it installed here from my original CD in DosBox this way. You might also have problems if your CD drive letter is not defined for the game. There should be a file in your installed directory called XCOM3.CFG. This file should contain a NULL character, followed by 3 characters pointing to your "CDROM" drive, with a byte dump like this:

00 <null>
45 E
5c :
3a \

The first byte may actually be the installation type (0=minimal, etc.).

If you have the original CDROM, I recommend making a CUE/BIN image of the CD and using that. To do this, I grabbed UltraISO for Win32 (and it ran in Wine on Linux). It will let you do this even in the evaluation copy. Once you have the disk images, mount it like this:

imgmount e /home/marty/XCOM3.cue -t cdrom

Then the game should run without the CD. Good luck.

Reply 7 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Are you people daft or what?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions