VOGONS

here's my problem

Topic actions

First post, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whenever i try playing a shadow warrior add-on, it always tells me i need the disk to play

the problem is this:
even when i put the disk in the disk drive, it always says that "the disk is not found", why does it say this? and is there any way to resolve this? thanks
imachavel

Reply 3 of 61, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

did you load yor CDROM driver and MSCDEX (or equivallent?)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i'm not using dosbox

i'm just using the command prompt, and directing the folder to the game

i wouldn't know if the autoexec.bat and the other files are loading correctly but i'm guessing their not since the games aren't opening even when the cd is in the drive

also, i don't know what mcdex or whatever it's called is

sorry, i don't know much about dos, my dad worked with dos, i'm just learning about the ins and outs of windows

Reply 8 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

you have any idea why this game won't load? i can't load wanton destruction, or lo nukem, or when i was young, or wangbang, they all say the same thing, disk not found or whatever is equivelent

?????????

Reply 9 of 61, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

mscdex is part of the cdrom interface, you need a cdrom driver installed
(in your config.sys) as well as mscdex (in your autoexec.bat). Usually this
is done when you're installing the dos cdrom stuff.

Reply 10 of 61, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

hmm, you want mscdex in the command prompt of Windows... let's google 😀

BUT on your command prompt type the letter of your cd drive with a : and hit enter, to test if that works... For example
d:

(you should have the CD-Rom in it, though 😀)
if that doesn't work, look at autoexec.nt in c:\Windows\system32 with notepad.

BUT, anyway, you won't be happy on the command prompt with these games. You might be going somewhere if you use VDMS but even then... Dosbox should be more fun, especially if you want to hear sound effects and music...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 11 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, so i should mount d: then? and try and open the game through d:?

and even then it won't let me play the game with music and all that?

so i should redownload dosbox? i had it already, it was that my dad deleted it for some reason because our computer hit the blue screen of death

let me try these things out, google around for a few hours, and if this doesn't work i'll come back later and report my problems

thanks a lot

i hope this works

Reply 12 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

with dosbox i'd have to mount the drive, right?

when i pressed d: it obviously changed the command in command.com to d:

then i pressed cd c:\sw

and the command went through but the command prompt didn't change to the path specified but i figured it went through anyway but wasn't visible since it brought up the next available prompt

then when i hit wanton.exe nothing really happened

i assume i'd be mounting from dosbox but then i'd be using the same commands right? i figure there's a way to do this i'm obviously doing it wrong

also, i found mscdex but i can't use the file anyway, i thought mscdex was just an automatic file or something

Reply 13 of 61, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

imachavel - The VERY first thing you have to do, is to make up your mind!

Do you want to use/play this game using the DOSBox emulator, or do you want to run it directly in Windows?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 15 of 61, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You still haven't made up your mind I see....

Reply 17 of 61, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

Reply 18 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here's my problem

if i mount to d, i can't open things in c without changing the directory to c, or is it still mounted in d, maybe i'm wrong and just got confused but i'm pretty sure it gets out of d to redirect it to c:

i'm not trying to play a game on the disk, the disk is needed to run these games on my computer

everything is already configured i believe the sound and everything there's no conflicting drivers or anything it's just that it won't open the games because apparently it can't find the disk even when the disk is inserted

let me try it one more time, maybe it'll work in dosbox i don't know
thanks