VOGONS

here's my problem

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whoops, i didn't see this reply

so you think if i delete all the games and reinstall them with dosbox that'll solve the problem

sorry the full path came out to be c:\sw\sw.exe or c:\sw\wanton.exe or c:\sw\lonukem\lonukem

i had to install the shareware version as the disk doesn't come with the first four levels(i don't think, maybe i'm wrong, but i played the shareware first because it was free and bought the game because i liked it)

anyway do you really think uninstalling all these games and reinstalling everything with dosbox will work?

is there a dosbox wiki for installing an add on with dosbox? i mean that's weird, i feel as though it'd just be easier to unzip the games and then play from there

anyway if you don't mind i'd like to try this with windows i guess if you're saying i can play the add-ons without sound i guess that's fine as this dosbox thing is too complicated

so i'll go with just playing this in windows, do you still want me to uninstall and reinstall everything?

Reply 41 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

whoa, it's weird

i keep replying to a post and i guess someone posts before i finish the reply i'm writing

to answer that question yes it should be in my sw folder

like i said, the strangest thing is that i can play the game but none of the add ons

and i didn't need the disk to play the first 4 shareware levels

thanks for all the help

Reply 42 of 61, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I told you what to do. How difficult can it be to install the game or the shareware version? Do what I told you and then see how far you can go...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 43 of 61, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
imachavel wrote:

to answer that question yes it should be in my sw folder

Jesus on a high horse??!!!?? How difficult can it be??? IS IT or is it NOT in the C:\SW ?

No "should", no "maybe", no "yes on on Wednesdays, but not on Thursdays". Is it there? YES or NO?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 44 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

jeez can't you read?

i just said it is in my sw folder

everything works out fine exept that the add ons can't read the disk

i can play shadow warrior fine

and all the add ons are in my shadow warrior folder

so that'd be in c:\sw

unfortunately every time i open one of these games it says the disk is not found

that was the main problem, no problems with setup, or with the file working, everything is fine but the games won't run without the disk verifying that i've bought the original game

this whole thing started out with my mscdex not working or something, that can't be or i wouldn't be able to play the game, right?

no one else has had problems with these add ons?

Reply 45 of 61, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I told you what to do. How difficult can it be to install the game or the shareware version? Do what I told you and then see how far you can go...

To add to this, don't install the shareware at all, but only install the full game.
Another thought, how did you come by these add-ons? Maybe they need their original disk as well...

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 46 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i see you were never big on 3d realm games

the first 4 levels don't come with the disk, you have to download them seperately, they even recommend downloading the shareware version on the site where you buy the game

as for the add-ons, you can't buy them, they're free, you have to download them

i'm suprised no one here is a big fan of 3d realms

they've taken 12 years for that duke nukem forever game to come out, and it's still not out, but it's already done from what i've heard, weird, they should've made another 18 duke nukems by now

check out 3d realms

www.3drealms.com

Reply 47 of 61, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

i see you were never big on 3d realm games

I tried Shadow warrior and found it lacking. Why? Don't remember, it has been some years now...

Good luck with your problem, I'm out of here.

Reply 48 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks, i'm going to need it

i'd say my computer is defective, but hey, i don't know

if this isn't answered here, i'm pretty sure it won't be answered, i don't know what else to do

peace

Reply 49 of 61, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

i'd say my computer is defective

it's not, you just want it easy and not follow advice.

if this isn't answered here, i'm pretty sure it won't be answered

it has been answered.

Reply 50 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wtf are you talking about?

how has it been answered? the closest thing i got to an answer was an explanation of the mscdexnt file and related files

it has nothing to do with the installation or mounting process which works for the original game

it's that the games keep telling me that the cd can't be found when it's in the cd player

you haven't even got ahold of that after all the times I've mentioned that?

oh well, i don't think there's really anything i can do

why would the mscdexnt file work for the original game but none of the other files if those files need the original game disk?

Reply 52 of 61, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I told you what to do, you won't do it. You could be playing for hours already. Your choice. Have fun with your add-ons.

Reply 53 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

What, by reinstalling everything?

I don't think that'll help

I don't think it'll make any difference

If it was a problem with the original file then why is the original file still working?

Reply 54 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

how about compatibility mode? do i need to enable compatibility mode or something to play these games?

which compatibility mode would I run for windows xp?

windows 95?
windows 98?
windows nt?
or windows 2000?

Reply 55 of 61, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imachavel wrote:
ok so to reanswer the question with dosbox i mounted with: mount d "d:" -t cdrom then i hit d: but since the game is already ins […]
Show full quote

ok
so to reanswer the question
with dosbox i mounted with:
mount d "d:" -t cdrom
then i hit d:
but since the game is already installed
i mounted like this
mount c c:\
then I hit c:
then I hit cd sw
then i hit sw.exe
this works fine
my wanton destruction game is in the same folder
if I hit wanton.exe instead of sw.exe in this order of the steps i get a message saying it's missing level $dozer.map
if you still want i'll delete everything and reinstall it but i really doubt that's going to help me at all

Ok, this is the only useful message you have posted. I really can't understand your other posts. Seems that I'm the only one here who owns this game besides you and is willing to help, so please pay me attention.

- Delete C:\SW folder (you can uninstall the game if you want to, but make sure that there's no C:\SW folder in your system before you continue).
- Install Shadow Warrior Registered v1.2 to C:\SW and FORGET ABOUT THE DEMO. Shadow Warrior Registered v1.2 includes the 4 shareware levels, so YOU WON'T NEED THE DEMO AT ALL. Leave the CD-ROM in the drive.
- Install Wanton Destruction add-on to C:\SW
- Run DosBox
- Type "mount c: c:" and press ENTER. Ignore the warning message.
- Type "mount d: d:\ -t cdrom" and press ENTER. If the drive letter assignment for your CD-ROM or DVD-ROM is not D:\, but E:\, F:\, G:\ or whatever, then type instead "mount d: e:\ -t cdrom", "mount d: f:\ -t cdrom", "mount d: g:\ -t cdrom", and so on.
- Type "c:" and press ENTER.
- Type "cd sw" and press ENTER.
- Type "setup" and press ENTER. Go to Sound Setup. Choose Sound Blaster as Sound FX Card. Use default settings and continue. Test Sound FX Card. If you can hear the cymbals, then you're done here, save and exit. If not, use the settings under the [sblaster] section in the dosbox.conf file.
- Type "wanton" and press ENTER. Now it should work fine.

Last edited by batracio on 2009-04-12, 05:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 57 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this did nothing whatsoever

in fact, the wanton destruction i redownloaded is actually defective suprisingly enough

before i could enter single player before it gave me the missing level $dozer.map reply

now i can't even enter single player

no matter though i know it didn't work because i tried it on lonukem and lonukem says the same thing, of course..... i could try one more thing, i'm pretty much sure none of this is going to work but thanks for the help

Reply 58 of 61, by imachavel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, that definately did something

i was able to open the lonukem file

i simply had to take it out of it's folder and make sure it was in the same directory

now i could probably just redownload wanton destruction

i couldn't play the level for some reason, don't ask me why, it has music and i think it skipped ahead 2 levels of course i'm not sure

but anyway now i'm getting somewhere, thanks a lot

peace

Reply 59 of 61, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can reproduce the "Level Not Found: $dozer.map" error by renaming WT.GRP to WD.GRP, so I guess there's something wrong with that file in your installation. I downloaded Wanton Destruction from FileShack, use this link:

http://www.fileshack.com/file.x?fid=7633