VOGONS

First post, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've been playing Quest for Glory IV Shadows of Darkness (cd version) in DosBox 0.72 and suspect that sound effects are not being played. I remember hearing these while playing the game on older computers (which I no longer own/have access to)

I could be mistaken, but shouldn't these sound effects be played:
-Wolves howling when the title screen appears.
-"Magical" sound effects when selecting the magic user while creating a character.
-The door being shattered when the fighter crashes through it. (Also while creating a character.)
-Also there's no sound effect for the thief opening the door. (Also while creating a character.)
-Shouldn't the dark one be roaring in the vision of his rising? Also there's no thunder sound effect.

There are a few more, but I think those mentioned above should get my point accross.

I'm using DosBox's default configuration except for having set the number of CPU cycles at 6600 which should be equal to about 66mhz. I've tried pretty much every available combination of sound and music drivers offered by the game. Also tweaking DosBox's soundcard related settings doesn't help.

I know these sound effects exist in the game, you can find and play them using the SCI Resource Viewer. (http://www.sierrahelp.com/forums/viewtopic.ph … 56&p=4994#p4994)

If you have access to the SCI Resource Viewer, look for these:
131.aud (wolves)
141.aud (door shattering)
142.aud (magic user)
143.aud (thief - peeking from behing the door?)
974.aud (dark one roaring)
975.aud (thunder)

So, am I imagening things or can any one else confirm this?

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that the music is fine (at least for the most part) and I can also hear the narator.

Last edited by Peter Swinkels on 2010-06-16, 12:50. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is my resource.cfg:

videoDrv  = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV
audioDrv = DACTHUND.DRV
joyDrv = NO
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = NONE
memoryDrv = NONE
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = yes

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that the music is fine (at least for the most part) and I can also hear the narator.

Reply 3 of 4, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Post the contents of your RESOURCE.CFG. You can also try my QfG4 DOSBox installer.

That installer helped me figure it out, for some reason the Quest For Glory setup program "forgets" some critical entries in the resource.cfg file. Which should look like this:

videoDrv   = VGA.DRV
soundDrv = ADL.DRV 220
audioDrv = DACBLAST.DRV 220
joyDrv = NO
directory = .\
cmd = QG4CD
mouseDrv = STD
memoryDrv = ARM
minMemory = 1600k
brightness = 0
language = 1
minCPU = 386
CD = NO
resAUD = .\
resSFX = .\
patchDir = .\;.\patches
audiosize = 63k

Reply 4 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The first one is the default one on the CD, which does not have any of the paths to the game's resources. Without those paths the game can't find those resources. This is why it is recommended that you install the games in DOSBox with the same mounting that you will use to play the game. It is also why I asked you to post the contents of your RESOURCE.CFG.