VOGONS

First post, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I've been trying to get Speedball 2 working with Soundblaster sound for a while, although in DOSBox I always get the message "Sound card not found", even though my Soundblaster emulation is on and running. Other games work with it. I've tried all variations of the SB card, tried varying the address, interrupt and DMA and hacked around at the game trying to find the settings it's looking for.

The weird thing is that I've had this running before with SB sound. Tandy and Roland sound are just irritating, and unfortunately there's no way of configuring the values manually - I think SB2 has fixed, set values that you have to use with your card.

It would be great if anyone had this running and, if so, if they could send me a copy of their .conf file to help me out.

Cheers!

Note: I'm not using some Abandonware version (although I did try one to see if it made any difference). I have a re-release on CD with a Windows installer, so I had to install the game and then copy the directory contents into my virtual HD (I use D-Fend Reloaded)

Reply 1 of 5, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Solved it!

Seems my emulated CPU was too fast. I had left it on the default 20000 setting, but when I reduced the CPU cycles to 3000, it worked fine.

Hope this is of help to anyone suffering the same problem!

Reply 3 of 5, by jamyskis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use D-Fend and had set the default game template to use a default cycle count of 20000, because that's a good value for most of my games. Very few need a lower count - Speedball being one.

Reply 4 of 5, by madnexus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using D-Fend 0.8.0 with DOSBox 0.73 and the Sound Blaster is not detected with the default configuration or changing any sound options. I've changed the CPU cycles to auto (by default 10000) and it runs smooth.

Thanks a lot for comment that.