VOGONS

First post, by bmccord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok, so I'm pretty new to DOSBox and am trying to set it up similar to what we used to use back in the day. I've already got several things working and am very pleased. But, there is one piece of software I used to use that I am unable to get working. It is called QD3 and it is basically a file management application.

After installing it and running it, sometimes is hangs the DOSBox. Other times, it starts up only to show garbage file names in the list of files.

I am running DOSBox on a Dell Precision M6400 Notebook with a Intel Centrino 2 Quad Core processor and 4 GB of RAM. The display adapter is an NVidia Quadro FX 2700M.

I have tried various versions of the program and all of them do this.

I will attach the .zip file of the program. Any help would be great.

Edit: Attachment removed - just in case

Last edited by bmccord on 2009-06-04, 20:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It's poking around for Novell NetWare, although I don't know what level of network support it requires. It's also doing absolute disk reads with INT 25, and that's not going to work in DOSBox unless you boot a real DOS.

This appears to be a commercial app, and if so, shouldn't be posted here.

Reply 2 of 10, by bmccord

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm sure it was a commercial app. But my research into it shows that the company went out of business years ago and the developer died soon after writing this. Nevertheless, you are probably right in that is shouldn't be posted.

Especially if there is no hope of it working...

Thanks for the help

Reply 8 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah the big disadvantage is that you loose the CD-Rom support (be it mount or imgmount).

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Actually, there is a way to get CD support in booted hard disk images (kind of) using an image big enough to hold the contents of the CD(s) and the FAKECD/FAKEDR utilities. Wouldn't recommend it to novice DOS users, though. I've had good level of success with it on a number of CDROM games that I wanted to test under real DOS in DOSBox. CD audio is not audible, but the games don't know that, and at least function.

Reply 10 of 10, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

As Qbix already said the bad thing is that microsoft didn't provide a block device for mounted drives.
But of course everybody's free to use the 100% compatible (but memory sucking)
dos he likes.