VOGONS

First post, by ericmorrow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I've had this game for ages (i.e. I played it for hours on my first computer which was a 286). I've been trying off and on over the past few years to play it on newer hardware, and so far DOSBox has done the best job of playing it (i.e. virtual pc 2004/2007 plays this awful screetching sound in place of any sound effect). In all versions of DOSBox I have tried, up until version 0.73, everything works perfectly except no sound plays.
I first posted this problem here ...now that I'm more experienced in the forum, probably not the best place to post it. But those posts will give some more background. What I have gathered from the help I got there seems best stated here.
It seems as if -=Slaye]2=- discovered that the game TV Sports Boxing programs the PIT (Programmable Interval Timer) in a way that is not compatible with newer hardware (if I understood him correctly). Seeing that that game was made by the same company, it might be a good bet that TVS Basketball has the same issue. -=Slaye]2=- hasn't posted since 2007 though, so I wonder if he/she would ever have a chance to see my post. Does anyone else have a working knowledge of how to tweak the PIT, or any other suggestions about how to get sound working in this game?

Reply 1 of 1, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

There are several Cinemaware games that suffer from the problem, including all of the TV Sports titles. The games might be relying on timer behavior (as it relates to speaker operation) that only existed in early PC hardware, but that hasn't been proven yet. I reported the issue to the DOSBox devs in some detail, and they will decide what to do about it. There is a workaround that involves hacking the game code to program the timer to use mode 0 instead of mode 1, but it would be more efficient to have direct support in DOSBox.