VOGONS

First post, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just downloaded the demo of Wing Commander IV to try and see how well it would run, but after running the wc4demo.exe and saving the configuration, the game fails to run. I get the following message.

Running WC4DEMO...

Loading Wing Commander IV.
System RAM checks out OK.
Parsing command line.
Linking in video DLL.
Allocated 0 bytes of Memory

This error may be the result of a conflict with your system configuration and Wing Commander IV. Please try running BOOTDISK.EXE to make a floppy boot disk that may remedy this problem. If you continue to have trouble, please refer to the README.TXT file on the CD for troubleshooting information.

I checked the readme and couldn't find any mention of 0 bytes of memory being allocated. I also searched this forum and Google, but was unable to find results similar to mine.

Reply 1 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

If you can give a link, some of us can give it a try.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 18, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found this one:

http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4demofull.zip

It plays the intro video, then it crashes back to DOS ("Exception 14 happened", followed by a lengthy error code). Hmm...

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 3 of 18, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I downloaded the demo from http://www.wcnews.com/files.shtml#wc4

I'll try that demo post and see if I also get the same error.

EDIT: Still the same. Running WC4.exe from the second demo I downloaded comes up with this:

Running WC4DEMO...

Loading Wing Commander IV.
System RAM checks out OK.
Parsing command line.
Linking in video DLL.
WC4DEMO patch loaded.
Opening game sequence.
VESA Driver Present -- SVGA Possible
Looking for installed files.
Checking for disc 1.
Something weird in the CD change functions.

Followed by the same thing it gave me with the last demo, telling me to look in the readme for a possible solution.

Reply 4 of 18, by static-

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It seems if it's installed to c:\wc4 then you get the "Allocated 0 bytes of Memory" error. If I put it in c:\wc4demo I get "Exception 14 happened" with dynamic core. With normal or full core the screen just goes black and dosbox closes after a few seconds. odd.

Reply 5 of 18, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I've had no luck either doing various things. I tried installing from different folders and drives, but I can't get it to go.

The Wing Commander 3 demo downloaded from the same place doesn't work either. It starts out promising, giving you the machine speed test with the spinning ship, but then it just crashes with some exception error.

I'm guessing the full versions of both games don't exhibit these problems because I've never seen anyone complain about them before.

Reply 6 of 18, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wing Commander 3 demo you need to set DOSBox to lower than 8,000 cycles to get past the test.
Once you do you can just backup the .cfg it generates and package it with the demo to bypass the test in the future.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Xelasarg wrote:

I found this one:

http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4demofull.zip

It plays the intro video, then it crashes back to DOS ("Exception 14 happened", followed by a lengthy error code). Hmm...

Confirmed.

Attachments

• dosbox_000.png
    Filename
    dosbox_000.png
    File size
    5.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 8 of 18, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

With core=normal, DOSBox dies after the intro.
Tried different cputype's. Did not make it work. Either the same crash, or total abort.
Choosing no sound card in SETUP makes no difference.

Solution: ems=false

Attachments

• wc4demo_002.png
    Filename
    wc4demo_002.png
    File size
    45.22 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • wc4demo_003.png
    Filename
    wc4demo_003.png
    File size
    7.5 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 10 of 18, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Works for me too. Damn, should have thought of Origin's crappy memory management in the first place...

I've attached my dosbox.conf, just add your mount commands to the autoexec section.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.conf
    File size
    6.7 KiB
    Downloads
    279 downloads
    File license

"What's a paladin?!"

Reply 12 of 18, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Unfortunately that didn't work. I still receive the allocating 0 bytes of memory crash and the game refuses to load.

On the plus side, I did manage to get 3 working. I wonder what's wrong with 4 though. I really want to track down a copy of the full version, but if I can't even get the demo working I don't see much point.

Thanks for your help though, guys. Much appreciated!

Reply 15 of 18, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fifth time with the demo was lucky. It works when run from the WC4DEMO directory. That should have been a no brainer because when you run it from any other directory it installs files into WC4DEMO. Stupid me!

This and also 3 seems to have issues with cycles though. Too many and the movies stutter, not enough and the actual game is slow. WCNEWS recommend 35,000, but that too still makes movies stutter. I guess you just have to lower them whenever a movie plays.

Thanks everyone for the help once again.

Reply 17 of 18, by 21603

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

15,000 cycles seems to work for the video in both 3 and 4, and 25,000 for the game. Max has smooth gameplay, but stuttering video. There is always the Windows patches for the full versions, or failing that I could drag out my old DOS machine.