VOGONS

First post, by Nightwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a few people who got one working, but almost nothing about the 2nd and very little seems to be about vista. The most recent topic maker was directed to use the ScummVM.

There are NO previous topics about 11th hour.

These are related games, both from the same long gone, merged into oblivion, company.

They are also two of the best point and click games ever released.

My last attempt to install either of them directly, using the patched installer and other tricks ended with music but not sound in 7th guest, it could not recognize a modern sound card anymore. 11th hour could not see the CD while it was in the drive once the game had started.

So now I want to take the best advice I can get, to use DosBox. I also want to go to the people who know the most about it.

This means you.

I'm going to try Scumm first, as I've got the page up from the wiki with the directions to make it work for 7th guest. I will then try the same thing with 11th hour and report back.

If nothing else this topic will contain (by the time I am done) a detailed list of what it takes to make it run.

Found this:

http://code.google.com/p/t7gre/

Looks like it's been added to scummVM so I don't need to use it separately, though maybe it might be needed for 11th hour.

1st attempt:

Attempting to use the native installer for the game vista refuses to allow it to run due to it being "not compatible with 64 bit vista".

2nd attempt:

Using shortcut to give the installer admin privilege level and under compatibility mode "Is not recommended" then exit out.

Looks like I'm going to have to run the installer itself inside of dosbox.

3rd attempt:

Installing ScummVM, moving the listed files

*.gjd
*.grv
*.rl
fat.*
sphinx.fnt

Into a folder.

Had to take the two audio tracks from the first disk and put them in the folder as well as MP3 files. Quick rip and done.

It gives midi errors constantly, the music is not quite perfect, but it runs, and it is good. "this video is special somehow" heh...

It does NOT let me skip a video once it starts to play. No speed runs possible for me...

I'll try a dosbox setup latter. A running version was first for me. Once I get dosbox downloaded and installed, I can try to make it work better then scumm worked, that will be #4. Then I can work on 11th hour.

(this looks useful 7th Guest and 11th Hour setups beyond the install)
(collecting this too http://www.tbyte.com/downloads/ )

Right, played it through and beat it.

Oddly in scummvm some of the puzzles load with different initial starting points then is normal for the game. They seem to have fixed the error with the microscope game, though again the moves are different then any recorded move set in any old guide.

IF you use this, take track 1 from the first disk, and take the track from the 2nd disk and name that track 2. That will give you opening AND closing with the proper soundtracks.

4th attempt

I'm now downloading D-Fend Reloaded, and I will attempt to install it, and then use the windows95 beta patch. I do not expect this to work as well as the scummvm install.

5th attempt (will be)

A pure install and clean run with just dosbox and d-fend. Building on the last one to see how well it can be made to run.

Predicted trouble:

Due to having on board sound I'm having trouble locating the proper settings for the sound card. The good news is there are less then 1,000 possible combinations, brute force will not take long.

Reply 1 of 4, by arablizzard2413

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nightwind wrote:

http://code.google.com/p/t7gre/

Looks like it's been added to scummVM so I don't need to use it separately, though maybe it might be needed for 11th hour.

That site is dead, active development for The 7th Guest and 11th Hour is in the ScummVM svn.

Nightwind wrote:

It does NOT let me skip a video once it starts to play. No speed runs possible for me...

Not surprising since the game never let you skip videos in the first place.

Nightwind wrote:

Oddly in scummvm some of the puzzles load with different initial starting points then is normal for the game. They seem to have fixed the error with the microscope game, though again the moves are different then any recorded move set in any old guide.

Different starting points? I've played through the game and haven't noticed anything different with the puzzles. The "guides" for the microscope puzzle aren't going to work because they rely on the user having a specific processor (google pseudorandom). If you really can't beat it, there's a console program called cell.exe that can choose your moves for you.

There's also a bug fixed with the cake puzzle, and an easter egg somewhere when you run the game in ScummVM 😉

Nightwind wrote:

Due to having on board sound I'm having trouble locating the proper settings for the sound card. The good news is there are less then 1,000 possible combinations, brute force will not take long.

In dosbox? I haven't looked at the installer in some time but unless you've changed the settings it's Sound Blaster (16 if it's there) IRQ 7, DMA 1, HDMA 5 and for the best music set it to General Midi with the default settings. It doesn't matter what your real sound card is.

Reply 2 of 4, by Nightwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arablizzard2413 wrote:
Nightwind wrote:

Not surprising since the game never let you skip videos in the first place.

Hrm, I remember being able to skip the opening, or maybe that was only after I had an open house save. I'd had one of them for far longer then I'd been without one.

arablizzard2413 wrote:
Nightwind wrote:

Different starting points? I've played through the game and haven't noticed anything different with the puzzles. The "guides" for the microscope puzzle aren't going to work because they rely on the user having a specific processor (google pseudorandom). If you really can't beat it, there's a console program called cell.exe that can choose your moves for you.

Not the Microscope, honestly I've passed it exactly ONCE in my life without using the book. Most of the times I just booked until it completed it for me...

Nope, go check the block puzzle in the dollhouse. Normally it starts so that the letters of the solution are on the puzzle but backwards. ScummVM loads it in a different pattern.

arablizzard2413 wrote:

There's also a bug fixed with the cake puzzle, and an easter egg somewhere when you run the game in ScummVM 😉

Nightwind wrote:

In dosbox? I haven't looked at the installer in some time but unless you've changed the settings it's Sound Blaster (16 if it's there) IRQ 7, DMA 1, HDMA 5 and for the best music set it to General Midi with the default settings. It doesn't matter what your real sound card is.

AH, now that does set aside one of my worries, thanks. Though i DO have a spare soundcard I was going to break out if I needed it, with known settings. I should have been able to guess that dosbox would have a more elegant solution.

So what's the scumm only easter egg? I knew about the zaphoid bebelbrox T7G egg that was in the original...

Oh, and RL interupted, so no I didn't get to try the d-fend install...

Reply 4 of 4, by Nightwind

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
arablizzard2413 wrote:
The block puzzle shows up fine for me. DAT YOB TEG […]
Show full quote

The block puzzle shows up fine for me.
DAT
YOB
TEG

About the easter egg, they enabled some unused videos, I'm not gonna spoil it for you. 😈

So yours was in the classic configuration. Mine was, nothing like normal.

I played through and saw no videos that I didn't remember. Though oddly I couldn't find the one where the soup ate somebody.

So, when, what room, and where in the room to click? Because I wasn't able to find it.

I couldn't even find TAD climbing IN the window, the click spot just was not there like I expected it to be.