VOGONS

First post, by DizNdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Went thru some old boxes. Found 5.25 floppies and floppy drive. Installed 5.25 floppy drive - working fine. Trying to get some aps to work. Venture software works fine on my desktop running WinXP when setting compatibility to Windows 95. However, not working on my laptop which is running Vista:

SPECS:
Laptop: Sony Vaio Model VGN-CR220E
Motherboard: Chipset Intel 965GM
Processor: Intel Duo T7250 Speed: 2GHz
RAM: DDR2 2GB
Video board: Mobile Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 Video RAM: 358MB
Sound Board: N/A
Operating Syst: Vista Home Premium
Software: Venture The Entrepreneur's Handbook by Star Software
DosBox Ver .72

PROBLEM
Attempting to install business planning app. Venture the Entrepreneur's Handbook by Star Software (1991)

Installed DosBox .72 Printed, read and reread documentation, FAQ's and online posts on DosBox. Virtual drive seems to recognize where the program is. When typing the executable file VENTURE.EXE will receive

(C) 1991 Star Software System
DeskMate Runtime
Version: 03.05.00
Copy write 1981, 1992 Tandy Corporation

c:\>

ATTEMPTED TO DO THE FOLLOWING:
Installed DosBox into c:\DosBox

Installed Venture software in folder c:\Venture
There are subfolders within this folder
DEMO
DIST
MFG
RETAIL
SERVIC

Mounted venture folder
Z:\>Mount c c:\venture

Changed Drive to c by typing c:

Executed software by typing venture.exe
This is what I execute when using my desktop running WinXP

Program responds by displaying:
(C) 1991 Star Software System
DeskMate Runtime
Version: 03.05.00
Copy write 1981, 1992 Tandy Corporation

c:\>

I believe this is a DOS based program...and believe DosBox should work. Not sure what I am missing and doing wrong.

Would appreciate suggestions

Reply 1 of 6, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- how *exactly* did you install the Venture software?
- did you install it from inside of DOSBox?
- are you attempting to run it using the same mount setup that you used to install it?

Also, DOSBox 0.73 is the latest official version.

Edit: That should run under DOS because it appears to use a DeskMate runtime that can run under pure DOS or under DeskMate (DeskMate was apparently a Tandy competitor to Windows 2.x). I don't know what the system requirements are though, so I can't suggest any specific DOSBox settings.

Reply 3 of 6, by DizNdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got back....had to mow lawn

Because I'm using my laptop did not have capability to connect 5.25 floppy. Therefore, copied the info from the 5.25 diskettes, 1 thru 5, onto USB drive. First tried seperating 5,25 diskettes 1 thru 5 into individual folders on USB. Venture install program could not find disk 1. Decided not to seperate into individual folders on USB. Rather coped all diskette info, 1 thru 5, directly onto USB

Did not install in dosbox. Can this be done?

Typed Run in search box. Browsed untill I found USB drive. Selected Install.exe from USB drive. Venture unzipped and installed onto directory c:\Venture. I hope

This was the same procedure I used on my desktop running WinXP

Do not believe any settings was dumped into registry???? This is the method I used to install Venture on my desktop running WinXP.

is there a better way to install

Reply 5 of 6, by DizNdat

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fired up DosBox

reinstalled Venture program using the same USB drive mentioned earlier.
From DosBox ran install. Unzipped and installed Venture program in c:\Venture -- same as before.

ANy suggestions

Reply 6 of 6, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DizNdat wrote:

Because I'm using my laptop did not have capability to connect 5.25 floppy. Therefore, copied the info from the 5.25 diskettes, 1 thru 5, onto USB drive.

Create disk images using RawWrite. Then get Virtual Floppy Drive and use that to mount the disk images on your Vista machine. See if that works.