VOGONS

mouse problem in Privateer

Topic actions

Reply 21 of 30, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

when you make a whole circle with a joystick, some joysticks allow you to make circle (doesn't have corners) (for example xbox 360 pad) http://s.grrr.pl/images/2008/11/xbox360-2.jpg

and some allow you to make squares (have corners)
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/hardware/ … _Joystick_1.jpg

Reply 24 of 30, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

You'd have to look at the raw coordinates to see what happens.
The test program over there uses the same scheme as Privateer.
http://mypage.direct.ca/b/bsimpson/jhbc.html#JOYTEST

If autocycles didn't exist timed=true would be the correct emulation for both types.

1+1=10

Reply 25 of 30, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

h-a-l-9000 you can check everything yourself with your square joystick:

with timed=false you have to be precise

with timed=true game always accepts calibration (and you can set the stick in any crazy position you want 😀 )

Reply 26 of 30, by OndrejSc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

OndrejSc what kind of a joystick have you got and does control panel trick help you?

I am using this circle joystick. The control panel trick does not work for me.

I've found this interesting piece of information pertaining to our topic.

According to it, Privateer "polls the joystick port ~80,000 times a second".

Reply 29 of 30, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

one of my circle joysticks (DualShock2 pad) draws squares (as a result it has some deadzone on max left, max right, max up and max down)
This joy calibrates in privateer without problems with help of control panel (i do everything in the control panel and dosbox is in the background all the time)

my other circle joystick (xbox360 pad) draws circles (as a result it doesn't reach the corners).
I guess this behaviours sucks in older games as you cannot have max speed when going up-left for example. I guess new games can somehow handle it (but i am not sure of it, maybe only games designed for xbox360 controller handle it correctly)
It is very very hard to calibrate this joy in privateer even with help of control panel.
But I was able to recalibrate this joy in control panel, so that after calibration it reaches the corners in control panel's testing square (i was moving the stick only half way in every direction during calibration).
As a result i can now calibrate this joy in privateer with help of control panel without problems, as it reaches the corners in control panel now 😀
Does it help you too?

Reply 30 of 30, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

timed=false raw coordinates are about from 1 to 130
timed=true raw coordinates are about from 1 to 1300
I guess privateer is checking the minimal amount of coordinates between calibration points and that is why timed=true is always passing calibration, (unless of course you keep the stick almost in one place all the time during calibration)