VOGONS

Prophecy of the Shadow?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Fastvan67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey Guys!
Got this really old SSI game called Prophecy of the Shadow. I have tried 3 different dos emulators to get it to install and run. No luck. So I put it a side for a while and installed Kings Quest VGA version. The original Kings Quest didn't look as good as the VGA version. From what I understand, someone else other than the original maker of the game reproduced it.
So my question is this. Does anyone know how to remake Prophecy of the Shadow into a regular VGA mode? Something I don't need an emulator to run. Prophecy would install fine on my old 486 a few years ago. But won't run with an emulator. i even tried to get it to run with MS VirtualPC. No luck.
So, can anyone rebuild this game? Its on 3 floppys

MSI K9ND Speedster2
16 GB DDR2-800
2 X Seagate 1.5TB SATA
2 X Opteron 2380
Corsair 850W

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

King's Quest VGA took months, if not years, for AGD Interactive to create, and I'm pretty sure they started from scratch. They didn't just run a magical "remake-this-in-VGA" program - it is not a trivial task. If you want to remake Prophecy of the Shadow, start learning how to program.

Now, if you would perhaps explain which three different DOS emulators you tried to use and what sort of problems you encountered, then we might be able to help you - and whatever the problem is, I assure you it would be vastly less difficult to overcome than it would be to remake the game in VGA!

Reply 3 of 10, by Fastvan67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I used DOSBox first, then scumm vm then, virtual PC-DOS. DOSBox says no sound hardware, then goes back to command prompt. The other scumm says no game found, the other does nothing at all.
I just found a program called VDM Sound. Says its supposed to work with DOSBox. How is it done?

MSI K9ND Speedster2
16 GB DDR2-800
2 X Seagate 1.5TB SATA
2 X Opteron 2380
Corsair 850W

Reply 5 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ScummVM is not a DOS emulator! ScummVM is an interpreter for a very narrow and very specific range of games that does not include anything by SSI at this time. VDMSound has not been in development for years now and there is very little reason to use it instead of DOSBox. As for Virtual PC doing nothing at all, that will depend on what steps you took to set it up.

But as Mr. Robertmo said, it works in DOSBox. You likely have to reconfigure the game to recognize the IRQ of DOSBox's emulated sound hardware.

Fastvan67 wrote:

Does anyone have the walkthrough for this game? I found Kenns map page but need walkthrough.

If you're asking for a walkthrough, does that mean you have it running now?

Reply 6 of 10, by Fastvan67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, since I never used dosbox before. Could you please explain to me exactly how to use dosbox? I tried the directions that come with it, but I guess i just don't understand.
Yes, I dug around in my attic and found an old Canon MT9620 166mhz computer. I installed it on there and it works great. Just the way I remember.

But, its my new computer I would love to play it on.

MSI K9ND Speedster2
16 GB DDR2-800
2 X Seagate 1.5TB SATA
2 X Opteron 2380
Corsair 850W

Reply 7 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have no idea how you installed the game or what you are doing, but if you have gotten it to a point where "DOSBox says no sound hardware", then I am going to assume you are doing something right.

I have examined a copy of Prophecy of the Shadow. From within DOSBox, try deleting CAT.CFG, and then run START. Select Sound Blaster for both music and sound. Afterwards, run QUEST.

Reply 8 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Read my 60 Seconds Guide to DOSBox (and don't just read it - follow it too).

If that doesn't help, come back with details on how you mounted your C and D drives, how you did the install, how you configured sound, music etc.

Reading the aptly named README file will be a good idea too.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 10, by cuttock

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. I have a different issue with this game.
I follow the instructions as above. I have no sound issue, but I did this anyway.
My problem is I get an error message:

Cannot read file! guild.xmi

I do have a "guild.xmi" file. It's in the correct directory with all the other files (C:/PROPHECY)
My config is DosBox 0.74, on Mac OS X Leopard.
Thanks for the help!

Reply 10 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Follow Minimax Post above yours and open your own thread instead of necro posting in an old thread

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper