VOGONS

First post, by john doe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello there! I have been forwarded to this forum because there was suppose to be a topic that described how to install Windows 95 on DOSBox. Guess it got moved or deleted. Could someone explain to me how this is done? I was also wondering if the same is possible for Windows 98 SE. Now that I think of it.... Is there another perhaps easier way to run Windows 95 based games? (Running on Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit)

Reply 2 of 9, by john doe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

Vmware Player 3
VirtualBox
Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual PC for Windows 7

Well Virtual PC is not really an option unless I upgrade Windows 7 for another 200 USD. They don't support it for Home Premium. Are these easier then installing on DOSBox or are they just alternatives? What I'm looking for is a how to.

Reply 3 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A VM is the same as a PC as far as installing the OS goes. Go to each website for each VM, find their forums/wiki's and follow their guides.

Virtual PC 2007 or Virtual PC for Windows 7 work fine on Windows Home they are just not supported.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2009-11-09, 01:13. Edited 2 times in total.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 9, by DOS4dinner

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a guide, and Win95 and sometimes 98 is possible, but at the moment it's not that useful since it does not have CD or 3D video card support.

There's not much point in it for all practical purposes; It's only fun if you enjoy hacking things into operation or you like revisiting memories of BSODs and illegal operation errors 😀

Reply 7 of 9, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We're at a point in time where you're kind of screwed if you need to play old Win95 games that won't run either under DOSBox+Win3.1 or WinXP/Vista/Win7. I'm hoping that in a few years we'll be able to use a VM or something to do decent emulation of Win9x class hardware that includes support for hardware-accelerated 3D rendering.

Right now it looks like everyone is using some kind of rough-around-the-edges implementation from the WINE project that emulates Direct3D using OpenGL. I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet though.

Reply 8 of 9, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm not sure which c&c, but wine seems to run Dune 2000 and Transport Tycoon Deluxe well.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … TestingId=41650

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sCl … cation&iId=4932

I don't have these games, but you can test for yourself.

Another option to run Win95 (I've lost my CD somewhere over the years, I can vouch than Win98SE installed though) is using qemu

http://www.qemu.org/

You are 199k RAM short of having enough memory.
You need to buy more memory or remove any memory resident programs, Dude.
-- California Games v 1.01 2/23/88

Reply 9 of 9, by olemogamer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

We're at a point in time where you're kind of screwed if you need to play old Win95 games that won't run either under DOSBox+Win3.1 or WinXP/Vista/Win7. I'm hoping that in a few years we'll be able to use a VM or something to do decent emulation of Win9x class hardware that includes support for hardware-accelerated 3D rendering.

Right now it looks like everyone is using some kind of rough-around-the-edges implementation from the WINE project that emulates Direct3D using OpenGL. I don't think it's ready for prime-time yet though.

Yes, this is why I still have a machine running Win 98SE. The games that won't run in XP/Vista run fine in that. But that means I have to store a machine that I rarely run. 🙁