VOGONS

First post, by divinity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i tried DosBox 0.73 with different dosbox.conf configurations
under Ubuntu 9.10 and the Sound stutters extreme.
Under Windows everything works fine.

Does someone knew a solution for my Problem?

Reply 11 of 18, by Raymond C. Glassford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Or kill ubuntu. DosFreak's right. Maybe in a few years they'll get their audio fixed.

Good advice, and probably the only way out. Linux operating systems are not created equal. I had sound stuttering and lagging problems with DOSBox 0.72 (compiled from source) under Mandriva Free 2007.0. I am now running DOSBox 0.71 (RPM package) under PCLinuxOS 2009.4 LXDE, and sound is perfect, with no tweaking other than setting "cycles" for individual games. The PCLinuxOS install went very smoothly and configured my sound system automatically.

DOSBox 0.73 under Windows XP, by the way, also works flawlessly for me. No sound issues at all.

Last edited by Raymond C. Glassford on 2010-02-13, 17:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 18, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting. I had played with Ubuntu in the past, but I'm not really a Linux guy. I was just thinking of loading it up again....but maybe not.

What would be a better distro? Is Fedora or SUSE any better regarding sound support? I'd like to stick with a top 5 distro.

Reply 14 of 18, by Raymond C. Glassford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
valnar wrote:

Interesting. I had played with Ubuntu in the past, but I'm not really a Linux guy. ...

What would be a better distro? Is Fedora or SUSE any better regarding sound support? I'd like to stick with a top 5 distro.

Linux distros can vary greatly in usability and popularity between releases, so do not place undo emphasis on "top 5", "top 10", etc. ratings. I have used only two Linux distros -- Mandriva Free 2007.0 and PCLinuxOS 2009.4 LXDE -- but I don't see how PCLOS can be beat for ease of installation and hardware detection. My present install -- PCLOS LXDE -- has my former install beat in every respect. Most importantly, ALSA was installed and configured automatically, and my sound system works perfectly. So, keep things as simple as possible and I'm sure you will be pleased.

Reply 15 of 18, by wwwolf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had this problem myself, Ubuntu 9.10 64-bit, DOSBox 0.73, and Under a Killing Moon.
Found an answer here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/dosbox/+bug/429373
Long story short, set playback rate to 44100 and buffer to 50 (or even 100) in your DOSBox config - it worked for me.
Linux may not be perfect, by a long shot, but its a heck of a lot better then it was even a few years ago.

Reply 18 of 18, by temptingthelure

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, most sound problems on different distros have been traced back to the same source, PulseAudio. Dont know why modern distros keep using that buggy library. Uninstall it, install SDL instead and the sound problems are corrected. 😀

Rise of the Triad modding site!
http://rott.s4.bizhat.com