VOGONS

Application can't find its CD

Topic actions

First post, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I have a dos based application and I'm trying to run it using DOSbox, but when I run, the application saying the no cd found

I'm running windows Vista 32bit.

I run the followings with no luck:

- mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl
- mount e e:\ -t cdrom -noioctl
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -ioctl_dx

I even added -label LABEL but still the same thing... for me to find the CD label, I went to CMD in Widows:

E:\>dir
Volume in drive E has no label.
Volume Serial Number is E087-B9DC

I used the serial number as LABEL and also used -label NO_LABEL

I even created an ISO and used imgmount to mount the iso. as soon as I launch the application, I get the same thing again. "no cd"

Can someone help me with this please?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Most likely the issue is that you didn't install the application from within Dosbox. Almost all games and applications (for Dos, maybe even Windows 3.1x) that load stuff off the CD-Rom write the location of the CD-Rom drive to some config file. If the CD is then no longer to be found in that drive they error out instead of figuring out that the drive letter changed.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your reply.. well, the application that I got runs of the CD directly.. there is no need to install it.

There is only one EXE file in that CD, and each time I run that in Windows 2000 it works just fine... now that I have vista the application no longer works so I came across DOSbox.

please let me know if there is anything else I forgot to do.

Thanks

Reply 3 of 45, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well, the application that I got runs of the CD directly

Are you absolutely sure about that? Is there anything else besides the main
executable on the cd? Does it work on a different win2000-pc (where for example
the drive letter is different)?

Reply 5 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:
I run the followings with no luck: - mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl - mount e e:\ -t cdrom -noioctl - mount d f:\ -t cdr […]
Show full quote

I run the followings with no luck:
- mount e e:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -noioctl
- mount e e:\ -t cdrom -noioctl
- mount d f:\ -t cdrom -ioctl_dx

I'm afraid I don't understand 😕
it seems your cdrom drive letter is e: for windows, right?
then what's with that mount d f:\ -t cdrom line? what's the idea 😵

why not just go plainly

mount d e:\ -t cdrom

nothing more or less than that
then move to d: (in dosbox)
type dir

and show what happens?

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 6 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are you absolutely sure about that? Is there anything else besides the main
executable on the cd? Does it work on a different win2000-pc (where for example
the drive letter is different)?

Yes, I'm.. there are not other files, no even .COM file.. in windows 2000, I just double click on the EXE file and runs ok...

have you only mounted cd rom in dosbox or you mounted both: hdd and cdrom?

maybe this is what I'm missing.. I just mounted the cdrom and not the hdd. I will do this in a bit

it seems your cdrom drive letter is e: for windows, right?
then what's with that mount d f:\ -t cdrom line? what's the idea Dead

yes, windows is E.. that's a typo..sorry.. I was just trying to say that I did all sort of combination to make it to work but it doesn't. if I do this:

and then dir, I get the list of files just fine. but when I run the EXE I get the message that "please insert CD"

Robert mentioned that I need to mount hdd.. that's something I didn't do... I will try that and see what happens

Thanks all

Reply 8 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:

I just tried to mount hdd but then I realized that it's mapped already. C is mapped to my c:\

don't do it

mount c c:\ is no good

make a new folder, call it c:\ezz or whatever you like
then mount c c:\ezz
instead

of course if that exe worked on Win2000 this still doesn't imply it will in dosbox too, but you know that don't you...

We often forgive those who bore us, but we cannot forgive those whom we bore. (La Rochefoucauld)

Reply 11 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:

mount e c:\ezz
launched the file..same issue..

mount c c:\ezz, mind you, not mount e

ezz wrote:

if I do this:
and then dir, I get the list of files just fine. but when I run the EXE I get the message that "please insert CD"

that's strange
yeah, what program is it anyway?
it could well be a windows-only application, you know
in that case dosbox won't handle it
have you checked if it is?

Reply 12 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

what aplication are you trying to run?

it's a DOS app, the application was built in 1990. in Windows 2000, when I double click on the exe file, it launches in DOS. in VISTA is also launching ok, but as soon as the app goes in full screen mode (which by default it does) then it's failing and that's why I'm trying to run it in DOSbox.

I did it... I did it with C and also D and E.. I even mounted cdrom and hdd but it doesn't work

Reply 13 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:

what aplication are you trying to run?

it's a DOS app, the application was built in 1990. in Windows 2000, when I double click on the exe file, it launches in DOS. in VISTA is also launching ok, but as soon as the app goes in full screen mode (which by default it does) then it's failing and that's why I'm trying to run it in DOSbox.

it will surely have problems going fullscreen on Vista, whose ntdvm is obviously not the same as the Win2000 one
but dosbox should make it anyway 😕
although built in 1990 means msdos <5.0 (?)
btw, have you been launching dosbox windowed too (fullscreen=false in config)?

ezz wrote:

I did it... I did it with C and also D and E.. I even mounted cdrom and hdd but it doesn't work

the one thing to do (to start testing with Dosbox 0.73/Vista) is
mount c c:\ezz

and nothing else imho

Last edited by gidierre on 2010-02-18, 20:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 14 of 45, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you want you can try to find the XP video drivers for your video card and install them in Vista. This will allow you to have a full-screen command prompt.

You will lose Aero and DX10/11 support and potentially have higher instability but you'll likely be able to run your app.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 15 of 45, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

AND you could finally give us the name of the application. I can't believe how many times people will have to ask for it 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 16 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

here is the name:

AEMN 'Auto-Evaluateur'

it's french/english, written by a company in Canada for SAAQ (Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec).. it's to prepare students for the written driver license exam

If you want you can try to find the XP video drivers for your video card and install them in Vista. This will allow you to have a full-screen command prompt.

this would be my last option.. or maybe even use virtual PC to install windows 2000 instead of playing with the video card drivers.

I'm still trying other options with DOSbox and see if it's gonna work.

thanks all

Reply 18 of 45, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
ezz wrote:

here is the name:
AEMN 'Auto-Evaluateur'

btw do you know this page
http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/27/work … -windows-vista/

it's a bit funny that I've been reading this article a zillion times back in 2007 to invent me something for the xp2vista transition and sapucdex fullscreen crashes and everything I was curious about then,

and now I notice a post (#12)
by Danv, June 11th, 2008 15:28
who apparently wasn't there in 2007 🙄
and hear hear doesn't it talk about this AEMN app of yours? 😉
trick #2 is about standard vga

what about it 😁

Reply 19 of 45, by ezz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I did came across this post in the past... I guess I might go with option two in that post.. using standard VGA

I'm trying to make a CD now and assign a label to it and then use -label to run it and see if that works

Thanks for all the help