VOGONS

First post, by alzen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, the gamepad I have is Manta MM814 gamepad - very comfortable controller that works just great with my Debian box.

I had some problems with dosbox but solved it playing with options from the Joystick section - it was moving into one direction, now it's ok.

Still, I don't know how to make TR1 see more than 4 buttons (guess it's was 4) on this pad, dafault options - user configuration shows like Joy7 and so on but when I press the key I want it turns to like Pad3. The problem is there are some limitations, several buttons has same names like Pad3 two buttons and the game thinks it's the same buttons. I tried to map some joypad buttons for numeric keyboard but it messed up it all much more (maybe i did it wrong - i selected the key on the numpad, del, add and pressed the pad button).

Also, directional keys are named like Joy/Pad1-4 instead of arrows but guess it's normal.

Anyone knows how to make TR1 see all the buttons on that pad?

Dosbox says when starting:
"Using joystick GreenAsia Inc. USB Joystick with 4 axes, 12 buttons and 1 hat(s)"

Joystick is set to:
joysticktype=4axis

Using 0.73 with glide patches.

Reply 2 of 10, by alzen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm, I saw buttonwrap set to true, setting it to false didn't solve the problem, a few buttons stopped working at all after setting it to false.

I also tried to add the line autowrap you suggested set to false but guess it didn't change a thing.

Also (with autowrap=false and buttonwrap=true i guess) i observed that there're only 4 buttons (pad4,7,8,9 I guess - not sure), each of them a placed on 3 buttons from all 12, so we have 12 buttons but TR1 sees only 3 while each of them is assigned to 3 real buttons.

Reply 3 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well buttonwrap it is.

anyway with buttonwrap=false you can use the mapper or a program (xpadder) to map the buttons to keys.
joysticks in dos only support 4 buttons. That is how dos worked. We can't emulate more because games don't understand them

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 5 of 10, by alzen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Qbix:
Hmm, thanks for this cool explanation about only 4 buttons supported in DOS.

I was able to map keyboard keys to my gamepad buttons with buttonwrap=false so everything is working just fine now and i don't really use my keyboard in TR1, thanks.

Reply 7 of 10, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Qbix wrote:

well buttonwrap it is.

anyway with buttonwrap=false you can use the mapper or a program (xpadder) to map the buttons to keys.
joysticks in dos only support 4 buttons. That is how dos worked. We can't emulate more because games don't understand them

Hummm...well...this is not entirely true because I clearly remember when I bought megaman X for pc (one of the last dos games), a pad with digital cross + 6 buttons (and it used the old joystick port) was included and that was fully compatible with SSF2T too. It was shaped like a Sega Genesis controller 😄

Reply 8 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

5th button was second joystick left
6th button was second joystick up
this way you can have even 8 button pad 😀
i wonder whether there were any and if not, why not 😀
actually you could theoretically use mid left or mid up or 2/3 left to have almost infinite amount of buttons 😉

Reply 10 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

This hack works because 4 buttons = 16 combinations. Then it can't signal wether multiple buttons are pressed though.

6buttons pads don't use multibuttons combination cause imagine a fighting game where you cannot press multiple buttons at once 😉